Blichmann's new pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to brew with John on his new system with the new pumps last weekend at the BYO Boot Camp in Santa Rosa. The pumps were fantastic! whisper quiet compared to my chuggers and they are a breeze to clean up with the single tri-clamp holding the entire pump head together. The flow valve is simple to take apart and clean too. The head will be interchangeable with march and chuggers and he said they will eventually be available without the motor for around $100. The whole pump he said should sell for about $200. I was very impressed with them. He thought they'd be available in April sometime.

I got to brew with John on his new system with the new pumps last weekend at the BYO Boot Camp in Santa Rosa. The pumps were fantastic! whisper quiet compared to my chuggers and they are a breeze to clean up with the single tri-clamp holding the entire pump head together. The flow valve is simple to take apart and clean too. The head will be interchangeable with march and chuggers and he said they will eventually be available without the motor for around $100. The whole pump he said should sell for about $200. I was very impressed with them. He thought they'd be available in April sometime.

That's pretty awesome I can't wait to get my hands on one and do a side by side by side comparison I have a March and a chugger pump I want to review it against.. I hope to be able to get my hands on one before it gets to the market.
Thanks for the info update!

CHEERS!
Brian

I wish there was an all-triclamp version. Being able to take the head apart for cleaning is a fantastic feature. I might have to buy a pump head and do some more soldering.

I wish there was an all-triclamp version. Being able to take the head apart for cleaning is a fantastic feature. I might have to buy a pump head and do some more soldering.

There's only one tri-clamp that holds the head together. How much easier does it get? What would you need to solder??? I've never run my chuggers without the head on, but I suspect his motors may be quieter too. Those pumps ran pretty quiet. I will likely replace at least one of my Chuggers with one of these.

There's only one tri-clamp that holds the head together. How much easier does it get? What would you need to solder??? I've never run my chuggers without the head on, but I suspect his motors may be quieter too. Those pumps ran pretty quiet. I will likely replace at least one of my Chuggers with one of these.

It still has a threaded inlet and outlet. I would have preferred TC on these in place of the flow control valve but that's just me...

Well, when are they coming out?

They are almost set to ship.. last minute details are getting ironed out.. I WILL be doing a LIVE unboxing and first impression video as soon as I get mine from them.. fingers crossed very soon.. be in the look out for the notification when I get it in..

Youtube.com/shortcircuitedbrewers

AND HERE IT IS!!

In the box... MAN!! it is taking everything I have not to open it.... I swear I am not opening it until tomorrow at 5:30 PM EST.

Here is a photo of the box AND a link to the live broadcast that I have scheduled.

20170503_162300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
$200?!?! Holy crap I'm buying one. Or two.

Yeah I was pretty surprised (pleasantly, but still surprised) When I got the info too! I am in for another one for sure... It is SUPER quiet. The bleeder is AWESOME.. I am constantly having to cycle my current setup on and off to work out any air, not with that pump!

Yeah I was pretty surprised (pleasantly, but still surprised) When I got the info too! I am in for another one for sure... It is SUPER quiet. The bleeder is AWESOME.. I am constantly having to cycle my current setup on and off to work out any air, not with that pump!

In the live presentation yesterday you say "March 24th" availability -- I assume you mean May 24th. Also, I would like to see a video and/or review of it handling boiling wort. That's been the bane of my existence regarding Chuggers -- they get hot and the screeching cat comes out.

I am constantly having to cycle my current setup on and off to work out any air, not with that pump!

I plumbed a Watts auto-vent onto my Chugger but the notion of sanitation concerned me. Frankly, that's my one criticism (thus far as I've not used it) of their design -- there's simply no need for the PRV as an air-purging mechanism. Something as simple as a small 1/8" stainless hex nipple with a cap would have been simpler, just as effective (although perhaps less convenient), easier to clean and less expensive. Then again, they didn't ask me.

The triclamp head removal is money! Just a great idea. Now I have no excuse not to clean it after every brew.

Also I noticed that the dept of the mag coupling seems much, much deeper that the Chuggers. I assume that's a good thing?

I certainly think there's room for a premium consumer pump. I hope this is it.

In the live presentation yesterday you say "March 24th" availability -- I assume you mean May 24th. Also, I would like to see a video and/or review of it handling boiling wort. That's been the bane of my existence regarding Chuggers -- they get hot and the screeching cat comes out.

Yeah messed up the date. . March pump on my mind I guess.. you are right mine scream.sometimes too.. I will be love brewing tomorrow.. it will see some hot wort tomorrow.. I am doing a full review too.

I plumbed a Watts auto-vent onto my Chugger but the notion of sanitation concerned me. Frankly, that's my one criticism (thus far as I've not used it) of their design -- there's simply no need for the PRV as an air-purging mechanism. Something as simple as a small 1/8" stainless hex nipple with a cap would have been simpler, just as effective (although perhaps less convenient), easier to clean and less expensive. Then again, they didn't ask me.

The triclamp head removal is money! Just a great idea. Now I have no excuse not to clean it after every brew.

Also I noticed that the dept of the mag coupling seems much, much deeper that the Chuggers. I assume that's a good thing?

I certainly think there's room for a premium consumer pump. I hope this is it.

Yeah I think a bleeder would have sufficed.. but that seems to work ok.. my big concern with it is that it is plastic and seems like it might be subject to cross threading. I will be showing all 3 pumps disassembled in my full review for comparison. I have a hunch the mag coupling is deeper due to the extension of the housing. WE'LL find out!

Absolutely will be doing a thorough cleaning on it every time now since it's so easy can't say that so much for the ones that I have right now. Too easy not too..

Oh and it is the 22nd of May

It looks like there might not be enough room to solder ferrules onto the npt ports, unfortunately.

Review and comparison video is done.. Check it out!

https://youtu.be/QFvHAs0LXrA

FYI - The mention about PBW dissolving teflon is not accurate I'm afraid. If it was, the ball lock seats and teflon tape that many brewers use would disintegrate too. So do not be concerned with using PBW on the sort of teflon we use in our breweries (ball locks, teflon tape, March/Chugger pumps, etc). The PBW manufacturer (Five Star) has confirming this if you Google around a bit (you'll find people who called them directly to ask)...

There was a BrewStrong show on cleaning some years back where Five Star was the guest and re-confirmed that PBW is fine to use on teflon tape which is the same sort of teflon used on pumps and ball valves. See: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post443/

Cheers,

Kal

I know it is common practice for folks to pick products apart while going to the extreme making mountains out of mole hills. I am just darn glad we have companies like Blichmann supporting our home brew market and designing quality products for us to use which are innovative and user friendly.

:mug: to you Blichmann.

FYI - The mention about PBW dissolving teflon is not accurate I'm afraid. If it was, the ball lock seats and teflon tape that many brewers use would disintegrate too. So do not be concerned with using PBW on the sort of teflon we use in our breweries (ball locks, teflon tape, March/Chugger pumps, etc). The PBW manufacturer (Five Star) has confirming this if you Google around a bit (you'll find people who called them directly to ask)...

There was a BrewStrong show on cleaning some years back where Five Star was the guest and re-confirmed that PBW is fine to use on teflon tape which is the same sort of teflon used on pumps and ball valves. See: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post443/

Cheers,v

Kal

Any thoughts on what could possibly have cause the Teflon washer to disintegrate in my March pump I am wondering if the PBW being undisolved running through the pump could cause the issue? I always use 160 degree water to dissolve the PBW but from time to time I would still hear granule or 2 go through the pump.

Curious.

Any thoughts on what could possibly have cause the Teflon washer to disintegrate in my March pump I am wondering if the PBW being undisolved running through the pump could cause the issue? I always use 160 degree water to dissolve the PBW but from time to time I would still hear granule or 2 go through the pump.

Curious.
I don't know - sorry! There have been threads in this forum and others about PBW and the type of teflon that is used in our breweries (pumps/valves/tape/etc) so you could try reviving one of those, or possibly ask March since it deals directly with your pump - they're usually very good at responding. Good luck!

Kal

Curious.

Probably just friction.

Mine both met the same fate in a short period of time and I've continued to run without them with no issue or sign of additional wear on the housing or impeller.

Probably just friction.

Mine both met the same fate in a short period of time and I've continued to run without them with no issue or sign of additional wear on the housing or impeller.

I suppose. I wonder if the performance is effected by the missing washer? I think the comparison deficit had to do with the smaller impeller. Maybe not..

Would be interesting to throw in a stainless washer like the Blichmann... though normally washers where things rub are supposed to be a low-friction which is probably why teflon was used. The Blichmann design has to be different if they're using a stainless washer. It probably doesn't serve the same purpose. We need some mech engineer to chime in. I'm only electrical. ;)

Kal

Generally that washer is a thrust washer and if it is getting chewed up the likely reason is the inlet line is restricted causing the impeller to be pulled towards the front housing and against the washer - more restriction equal more force equal more wear which will chew out the washer quicker.
Other pumps use a ceramic washer for this as it is hard wearing while still providing a low friction surface (basically combining what you get from the PTFE and SS options). But I didn't have much luck finder general ceramic thrust washers :eek:
Looks like March do use ceramic washers in their other pumps so you could see if they have a direct replacement.

Generally that washer is a thrust washer and if it is getting chewed up the likely reason is the inlet line is restricted causing the impeller to be pulled towards the front housing and against the washer - more restriction equal more force equal more wear which will chew out the washer quicker.
Other pumps use a ceramic washer for this as it is hard wearing while still providing a low friction surface (basically combining what you get from the PTFE and SS options). But I didn't have much luck finder general ceramic thrust washers :eek:
Looks like March do use ceramic washers in their other pumps so you could see if they have a direct replacement.

Cool, Thanks for the info I will reach out to them and see what they have available and post my findings.

Got notified today my new RipTide has been shipped. Anyone received one yet that they want to comment on, or are they all just starting to ship? I'm surprised there hasn't been more comments yet.

Anyone know, or have some pointers to when this will be available in a EU version? I guess all the baby-stuff has been sorted out by the time it hits the EU market.

Back