Blending Wine and Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foltster

Reaction score
I recall seeing some information on people adding wine to sour beers in the past, beyond aging in wine barrels, but I can't seem to find the references any more. I don't see anything in the American Sour Beers index. Google doesn't seem to find anything.

I do see lot's of references to adding grapes or wine must to beer and the results seem to be good.

So...Have any of you blended wine into sour beer before? How were your results? What quantities have you used? Im thinking somewhere between 200 and 750ml ( a glass to a bottle ).

Would you blend at packaging or give it a month or 2 to stabilize? (I think stabilize).

Red wine in a darker beer?

White wine in a golden sour?

Any other thoughts?

I am working with must in clean and sour beers currently, but have never used already fermented wine. My theory is it will be closer to wine bbl aged flavors, probably similar to a fresh wine bbl, especially if you add oak.

I've done it a few times with decent success.

A couple months ago I bottled a 5 gallon batch of an 18 month old sour brown that sat on blackberries. I added a full bottle of Pinot Noir right to the bottling bucket with a half pack of rehydrated wine yeast. First bottle was very enjoyable.

I'll let you know in 2016. I've got a sour going with Pinot Noir. I used wine grape concentrate (grape extract) and added it during chilling. I did a split batch of this, one clean (already carbed and I like it), and one has been sitting on Roeselare for a few months so far. I haven't touched it yet, but plan to add oak cubes eventually.

My LHBS will have fresh, California juice in the fall. I plan to buy six gallons or so, pasteurize it, split it up, and then blend it with some wort. Then ferment with at least two different bug mixes. Not sure what varietal I will use or what type of base wort yet - probably either a white grape must with a golden sour base or a red grape must with a Flanders red-type base. I will try to remember to update this thread with my experience.

I'm a big advocate of blending wine into sour beers! It's much easier to get good wine than it is good grapes, and it gives you much more control.

Last night I posted a tasting of a saison with German hops and French Gewurztraminer. I've done New Zealand hops and wine previously as well.

I think a cup in 5 gallons is about right for "wine barrel aged" level of flavor, and a bottle is about right for a present wine flavor (depending on the beer and wine of course).

I'm sure the technique has a few mentions in the book, but craft brewers aren't legally allowed to do it, so I didn't harp on it too long.

I must have looked for an hour on your blog and missed all the wine and sour beer posts. :drunk:

Love the book, thanks for the help.

I have one going that is a sour brown that I added some cabernet must to. It's about six months old and I'm still a little unsure of it. I'll hang on to it and see. It's around 12% ABV and the pH has dropped, so it's a pretty harsh environment. I tried to help it along by building up some Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien dregs. I'm hoping those bugs might be more used to a harsh environment and fair better. Time will tell.

Back