Blending for Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MG-

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a light lager for an event. I currently make 12gallon batches now (10 gallon when all is said and done).

I want to be able to put 15 gallon in a Sanke.

Because of BK restrictions (20gallon total). I'm considering blending.

I've read a little bit about it, but just need clarification. If I am planning for 14 gallon post boil volume, and probably get 13 gallons into the fermentor. After fermentation is complete I'll probably see another gallon of loss to trub.

So I would need 3 gallons of boiled and chilled water to add to get 15 gallons.

How can I use beertools pro to do this? Can I just scale my recipe for 15 gallons post-volume, and just do my own math of how much to fill the BK based on my boil off rate to get down to 14? Or what am I missing?

We use Brew Math on the Iphone and do this all the time. We always adjust the final volume to get to my desired SG. We try to shoot for 1 gallon less at flame out than we need and use boiled water to "clean out: the wort in the lines, pumps and therminator and add the volume to the fermenter to hit the OG. We do 15 gallon batches and shoot for 16 gallons but we have been doing 17 gallons as our effenciency has increased with HERMS. There is a dilution page on the app.

We use Brew Math on the Iphone and do this all the time. We always adjust the final volume to get to my desired SG. We try to shoot for 1 gallon less at flame out than we need and use boiled water to "clean out: the wort in the lines, pumps and therminator and add the volume to the fermenter to hit the OG. We do 15 gallon batches and shoot for 16 gallons but we have been doing 17 gallons as our effenciency has increased with HERMS. There is a dilution page on the app.

Just searched android and no such app for us :(.

Do you add the water before fermentation or after? I understand it as you would do it after fermentation is complete.

I'm wondering if its easier for me to do a partial boil? Is that what they call it?

I have room in the fermentor for 15.5 Gallon and mostly want to get around 15 gallon. Although I kind of like the idea of only having to lift 13 gallons around to the fermentor and then once its done, get it on my cart and add the final portion to eventually go into a mini fridge.

Back