Bleach for Sanitation, good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
Hey Brewers what up?I have been AG Brewing for about 2.5 years now and all I have ever used to sanitize is bleach.I have never had any problems because of using bleach.At first I tried using Sodium metabisulfite but I damn near died every time I used the stinkin stuff so I quit and stuck to bleach.I usually soak all my eqip. in a bleach solution overnight and then rinse with insanely hot water and let dry.Seems to work.

Lately I've been reading quite a few threads that put bleach as a last resort to sanitize with.As every good homebrewer does, I got very paraniod and started worrying about my brew.I'm just wondering what are some disadvantages to using bleach and also what can I use that's better?

I've used bleach successfully for sanitation and still use it for soaking and cleaning.

The concern I always had was fear of off flavors if you don't rinse and fear of introducing bacteria if you do.

I'm now using StarSan and I'm happy with it, I store the solution and use it over several sessions.

colinwollmann said:
Hey Brewers what up?I have been AG Brewing for about 2.5 years now and all I have ever used to sanitize is bleach.I have never had any problems because of using bleach.At first I tried using Sodium metabisulfite but I damn near died every time I used the stinkin stuff so I quit and stuck to bleach.I usually soak all my eqip. in a bleach solution overnight and then rinse with insanely hot water and let dry.Seems to work.

Lately I've been reading quite a few threads that put bleach as a last resort to sanitize with.As every good homebrewer does, I got very paraniod and started worrying about my brew.I'm just wondering what are some disadvantages to using bleach and also what can I use that's better?

Bleach tends to be corrosive and may cause your brewing equipment to rust over time by removing its protective layers off the metals. Its always best to try to use a sanitizer like StarSan oppose to bleach but most of us have used bleach at one point or another.

colinwollmann said:

I used bleach for a long time, until I found Star San. Bleach certainly works, but I hate the worry of staining my clothes, not to mention the incessant rinsing of everything, which is a huge PITA and wastes water. A no-rinse sanitizer like Star San is incredibly cheap if you reuse your solutions (which I do), and it's so nice not to have to rinse.

I'd use bleach if I ran out of Iodophor. But bleach is not a non-rinse sanitizer.

I'd use the bleach, and have some previously boiled (and sanitized), now cooled water to rinse.

If you rinse with tap water, you just undid the sanitazion process.

And cue the nonesense psuedo-science explainations for why one should or should not use bleach.

This subject has been hashed and rehashed on this board with the bottom line of: many brewers don't use it but it can be used if mixed and used appropriately.
BeatDeadHorse.gif

After 40+ batches with bleach, I just made the switch to Star San. Gotta say, the no rinsing is a huge benefit. Never had a problem with bleach, but the Star San is so much easier...

If you are interested in using bleach, you should go to BasicBrewing.com and listen to the podcast on sanitation with Charlie Talley, the maker of StarSan. He actually spends the first half of the interview talking about correct and incorrect ways to use bleach as a sanitizer. Somewhat surprisingly, he strongly advocates the use of bleach as a sanitizer, provided it is used correctly. He also advocates it as a no-rinse sanitizer. But there are some big qualifiers here (e.g., can't use all types of bleach, may have to acidify it to increase its effectiveness, etc.). Overall, it is one of the better brewing podcasts I have listened to -- interesting and very informative, with lots if interesting tidbits about sanitization, bleach, and StarSan.

Here is the link:
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio (scroll down to March 29, 2007)

Or go directly here:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Evan! said:
...I used bleach for a long time, until I found Star San. Bleach certainly works, but I hate the worry of staining my clothes...

I brew naked so no worries. :ban:

I use bleach and have a double basin shop sink. One side always has a bleach solution for dumping stuff in and the other side has a garden hose attached to hot water for rinsing.

Simple and so far...no issues with sanitation.

BrewSetup_d.jpg

Many Use bleach and some of us have nightmares of a certain Marine a year or so back...

I used bleach for many years.
I switched to oxiclean and sulfite becuse I found it easier.

I recenlty discovered that oxiclean can sanitise as well. I'd rinse it though.

Onestep has the same main ingredient as oxiclean (sodium percarbonate).

Depends on how you use it. With bleach, I was always dumping it after using it once, because it was easier than trying to transfer it for reuse. StarSan, I reuse, or else it's not cost-effective. You can get a 32oz for 16 bucks at AHS. You need one ounce per 5 gallons of water. And I reuse the solution for weeks. So it should last you a good while. But a straightup cost comp, dunno.

colinwollmann said:
So it seems Star San is the way to go. What's the cost verses bleach?

Bleach will always be cheaper, but Star San is way more convenient. A quart bottle will last you a long long time. I make the solution in 2.5 gallon batches which uses only a tablespoon of StarSan. I sanitize my kegs by putting in a couple quarts, sealing it, and rolling it to coat all surfaces. Works the same on carboys. I keep a spray bottle of it to spray on stuff too. Use RO water and it will last a long time.

Dont' worry about racking on bubble or foam, cause it will be diluted by the wort and become a yeast nutrient.

It can take the paint off Corona, Rogue, & Stone bottles. :D

The other BIG REASON for me is that it is septic friendly as bleach and Iodophor are NOT.

I love it and don't use anything else.

I also never mix up a full 5 gals of StarSan. I make a 5 qt batch (1/4 oz starsan) and splash it around to sanitze carboys or buckets.

The best thing to do is a google search of chlorine as a sanitizer both Iowa and OK state have some good PDFs

Don't leave chlorine in stainless steel overnite it can cause pitting

Make sure you don't use household bleach that contains added scent.

Surface sanitation solution should be 50 PPM

Normal household bleach is 5-6% chlorine

1 teaspoon of chlorine bleach @ 5.25% per gal. = 65 PPM

Quats. Something very similar to Star San, its a no-rinse solution at 200 parts per million. :cross:

gotta use litmus paper to determine that though

There's no way I'd use regular household bleach on my beer. With household bleach being only 5-6% chlorine there's is really no way of knowing what that other 95% is. As slippery as if feels I'd guess a least a certain % is some kind of detergent.

Pool or Spa chlorine is another matter. I'd have no problem whatsoever using that as it's basically pure chlorine.

abracadabra said:
As slippery as if feels I'd guess a least a certain % is some kind of detergent.
Bleach itself is not the least bit slippery. It's a strong alkali, which reacts with the oils in your skin, basically turning it into soap. It's this "soap" that feels slippery.

There is nothing like trying to get a firm grip on a carboy filled with 5 gallons of beer when your hands are all slippery! I used bleach in the old days and had no problems, but I've since switched to StarSan and find it to be very convenient.

FlyGuy said:
If you are interested in using bleach, you should go to BasicBrewing.com and listen to the podcast on sanitation with Charlie Talley, the maker of StarSan. He actually spends the first half of the interview talking about correct and incorrect ways to use bleach as a sanitizer. Somewhat surprisingly, he strongly advocates the use of bleach as a sanitizer, provided it is used correctly. He also advocates it as a no-rinse sanitizer. But there are some big qualifiers here (e.g., can't use all types of bleach, may have to acidify it to increase its effectiveness, etc.). Overall, it is one of the better brewing podcasts I have listened to -- interesting and very informative, with lots if interesting tidbits about sanitization, bleach, and StarSan.

Here is the link:
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio (scroll down to March 29, 2007)

Or go directly here:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Hmmmmmm. My last name is also Talley. I oughta see if I am somehow related to this guy...maybe I could get a lifetime supply of this StarSan!:cross:

On a more seriuous note, I have never even heard of StarSan. Where can it be bought? Is it a specialty item? Or can it be found at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sears, Etc?

Bleach is OK for Glass and Plastic, just don't use it on metal....
I use Bleach all the time and as well as other cleaners/sanitizers and have been using them for 19 years.

Latest posts

Back