BLC leaving residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refect

Reaction score
I got some beer line cleaner from my LHBS. Superflush from Foxx equipment company to be exact. I wen't to clean my lines today with it and I noticed it is leaving a white residue on everything. I don't remember the last batch of BLC doing this. I got my last batch some time ago from the same LHBS. Both batches I mixed per instructions, which was 2 - 3 oz per gallon of water. I used 2 oz, or 1/4 cup (assuming 2 - 3 oz was fl oz and not by weight). I then flushed it with 2 gallons of clean water, and then a half gallon of sanitizer. Anything this new batch of BLC touched seemed to leave a cloudy residue even after flushing it with clean water. My lines don't look terribly cloudy, but I assume there is a residue seeing how it left it on some plastic cups and a bowl i was using. Anyone else experience this? Thoughts on what to do to remove the residue from the lines? Maybe some vinegar/water mix? Or would this leave a vinegar smell. Maybe the next batch of beer's PH will just dissolve the residue after the first few pours?

My main concern is that this residue would create some off flavors, or kill head retention. I just put brand new lines on too, so I'd like to avoid changing them again since it is a bit of a pain to pull the tower apart with multiple lines running in it. )

Updated with pics of the residue. Also, the BLC seem to come out kind of odd looking. Kind of like It was curdled. Not nice and milky like I've been used to. I posted some pics of that as well.

Attachments

• 20201116_203223.jpg
    20201116_203223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20201116_202220.jpg
    20201116_202220.jpg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 12
Bump for some insight on this residue and if this is normal with BLC, which I honestly never have experienced before. I ended up flushing with a 50/50 water and white distilled vinegar mix. This seemed to remove the residue from my pink bowl, so I gave it a shot in my lines. I flushed with a lot of water after and then sanitizer in Hope's that the vinegar smell will not stay in my lines. I can't really tell if it helped clear the residue in my lines, but they seem to look clear. My main concern was the residue will affect head retention and cause some off flavors.

Back