Blackberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain4

Reaction score
I found a recipe online for a gallon of BB wine, which is made from BB jam. So, I mixed according to the recipe which included a dose of Acid Blend, which I now understand can cause a stuck fermentation. It fermented well for about 3 days, starting at 1.095 and then came to a stop just under 1.030. Today, I added a tsp of Yeast Energizer in an attempt to get it going again. Temperature is in the high 60's in the cellar. Am I ok with this to get it going again? Anything else I should do? If it doesn't restart can it be racked to a secondary at this SG or is it toast?

Thanks for you time and suggestions.

Tony

Warm it up a bit and see if that helps. If it is where you want it, you can rack and stabilize.

I agree with WIP. See if warming it up helps. If not, I can only share from one of my own experiences.

During my last batch of Elderberry wine, my primary fermentation was hard and fast. After 5 days, it quit completely. Figuring it was stabilized, I racked to secondary, and checked the SG. It was around .998 and very dry, so thinking it was stabilized, I added about 2lbs. of sugar in about a quart of grape juice to backsweeten, and top off the carbuoy that was about a quart low.

Well, the next day, it was bubbling right along again, and has been for about two weeks. I'm probably going to have some rocket fuel, so folks here have reccommended stabilizing with sorbate once the ferment is complete and before backsweetening any further.

But, as I said above, I'd agree with WIP and try warming it up before adding stuff. I'm more of a "brew by the seat of your pants" guy (Recipe? I don't read 'em. I write 'em as I go along.) and am definately, absolutely, without a doubt no one to look to for sound, proven advice.

Thanks, I brought it upstairs to the second floor where it's the warmest during the day. Some slight indication of foaming again. We'll wait and see and post the results.

Naw, nothing happened. Still stuck at 1.030. (Have 4 gallons of Apfelwein going like crazy in the cellar, this petered out)
Racked it to a clean jug and topped off with a Cab Sauv. Smells nice, very berryish, SG down to 1.010 after topping off. So now it's wait and see. Although my experience is limited with this type of wine, I never had a fermentation screech to a halt. I would have to suspect the Acid Blend as the cause, consistent with others posts.
On to the next...

Back