Blackberry Sour Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial207

Reaction score
I do not post too many questions since I enjoy taking the time and doing the research. That said, this is my first attempt at a sour so I like some confirmation that my recipe is correct and I have a few questions:

Blackberry Sour 5 Gallons
5 lbs Light DME
1/2 lbs Crystal Malts
1/2 oz old hops or new low AA hops (Variety recommendations??)
Wyeast 3278

12 lbs Previously frozen, slightly crushed blackberries

3 gallons of water, steep crystal malt @165 for 30 min
Add DME, bring to boil, add hops, boil 60 min. Cool, strain out hops.

Primary add yeast and bacteria. Let sit for a week. Rack into secondary, allow to rest for 6 months.

Question one: Im now going to add the blackberries and let sit for 1 month, do I add more Sacc yeast?

After one month, I plan to rack off blackberries, let sit til its still again. Bottle into champagne style bottles.

Second question: If I do not add more Sacc yeast with fruit, should I add some yeast at bottling?

Thanks for the help people..

Add your yeast and bacteria in primary and let it go as long as it needs. It will likely need more than 6 months. I taste my sours at 2 weeks to make sure something is not off. Then at three month intervals. Once you are happy with the beer rack it onto the fruit and let if referment for 2-3 month and then bottle if the gravity is stable.

You can re-yeast. Alot of people use champagne yeast. http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Packaging read that.

Sound advice above.

You could add some maltodex and/or flour to the boil to for the bugs now to eat long term. Tablespoon.

I'd only boil 15 min to sanitize.

Good luck, have fun!

Add your yeast and bacteria in primary and let it go as long as it needs. It will likely need more than 6 months. I taste my sours at 2 weeks to make sure something is not off. Then at three month intervals. Once you are happy with the beer rack it onto the fruit and let if referment for 2-3 month and then bottle if the gravity is stable.

You can re-yeast. Alot of people use champagne yeast. http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Packaging read that.

Thank you for the info and the link. Good stuff there. Not sure how I did not come upon this before. This gives me the confidence to move forward.. Cheers

All grain makes better beer than extract, but it sounds like you don't have an all grain set up. Nonetheless, crystal malts have no place in blond fruited sours IMO. You don't need to steep anything, but consider using wheat DME instead of light

All grain makes better beer than extract, but it sounds like you don't have an all grain set up. Nonetheless, crystal malts have no place in blond fruited sours IMO. You don't need to steep anything, but consider using wheat DME instead of light

I actually already made that change. And sadly, I cannot do all grain or partial grain brewing, I do not have the space or money for it.. Thank you for your input..

Back