Blackberry / elderberry and sloe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulvernon63

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just planning how to use the fruit I have remaining from last year. I have 5 lb of blackberries, 3 lb of elderberries and 6 lb of sloes.

I was intending to use the black and elder (8lb total) to make up 2 gallons of wine. I thought I might then use the fruit again, after straining, with sloes; I've read elderberries will ferment again with other fruit.

Is is OK to reuse the two fruit mixture? Should I use all the sloes? About 6 lb sugar? A recipe I have for sloe wine adds raisins; I guess I should keep those in the mix for the three fruits? Any of that sound crazy?

Thanks; any other advice welcomed.

Paul.

Most fruit is pretty much just soft mush after primary fermentation, after all, you usually crush the fruit to extract the juice. You can make this easier & get better juice extraction (more flavor) if you freeze/thaw twice before crushing the fruit.

As far as how much fruit to use, I've found that 3-4 lbs/gallon is a fairly good benchmark with most commonly used fruit, but obviously some fruits have more flavor and/or more acid/tannin than others & the amount would need to be adjusted. I've never used sloes so I cannot advise you on the amount to use, but from what I've read they are rather tannic. Elderberries are a bit tannic too, so they might not be the best pairing.
Regards, GF.

Put them alltogether in 3 gallons should give you a good wine. We have done the blackberry plus elderberry many times, it works very well together, we did a plum plus elderberry and it turned out nicely also, the mix of all 3 should be great. If you like oak this would be a good place to use it, also dropping in some red winegrape concentrate might give it a little boost in body. WVMJ

Thanks very much for your replies. My main question is whether you think I can use each fruit for a second time. I will use black and elder together for one wine and was intending to use the sloe separately for another. Can I then put the fruit together to create a third batch of wine? I guess I don't have much to lose!

Back