Black IPA recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
Or Cascadian Dark Ale. Or India Black Ale. Whatever you want to call one of those rather hoppy high SRM things. This is somewhat of a kitchen sink/attempt to clean out my current specialty grains while attempting to not appear to be a menagerie of random ingredients.

OG: 1.065
FG: ~1.012
IBU: 69 (Tinseth)
SRM: 32.8

11 lb 2-row
14 oz Carafa II
8 oz Crystal 60
2 oz Black Patent

1.0 oz Columbus - [15.3%] - 60 min
1.0 oz Columbus - [15.3%] - 15 min
1.5 oz Centennial - [9.9%] - 0 min
1.5 oz Columbus - [15.3%] - 0 min
1.5 oz Centennial - [9.9%] - Dry hop 7 days
1.5 oz Columbus - [15.3%] - Dry hop 7 days

S-05

Mash @ 152*F - 60 min

Things I was wondering: I've never brewed with the combo of Columbus/Centennial, do these two play nicely together? Also, I do want some roast/acrid character from the Carafa and Black Patent to come through, so should I just mash them with the rest of the grains for the entire time? I do like Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous, and would be okay with something a hair roastier than that even.

Roast - Mashing the entire time should work fine. You're not using a ton of the black and Carafa, and you appear to be using a single infusion, so it ought to work fine.

Post your results.

Alright, I think I'm going to change the hopping a little. Take the flameout additions down to 1 oz each and add a 5 minute addition of 1 oz each Columbus/Centennial.

Back