BJCP Styles Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you brewed a beer following the parameters of an American Amber except you used an english yeast and a split of MO/Munich for the base malt what BJCP style would it be at that point?

bjcp style is based on taste, not ingredients. it would probably still be an american amber, but it depends how you manage the yeast.

bjcp style is based on taste, not ingredients. it would probably still be an american amber, but it depends how you manage the yeast.

This is what I figured and I know a lot of the BJCP style guidelines are based off taste, aroma, etc but I also know part of a what makes an American Amber as a style is American ingredients.

Edit -the more I think about it its basically an ESB.

Enter what it tastes/smells like versus what the recipe was meant to make. The judges won't know your ingredients. If it smells/tastes like an Amber, enter it in amber. If it smells/tastes like an ESB, enter it as ESB. :)

Back