BJCP questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I'm taking the BJCP test for the first time on Nov. 12. I've got a couple questions.

1) When given the four beers to judge, is relevant style information given as well? Or are we expected to know that?

2) The S5 question (complete scoresheet for classic commercial example) -- same thing: will we get style information with this question?

I'm taking the BJCP test for the first time on Nov. 12. I've got a couple questions.

1) When given the four beers to judge, is relevant style information given as well? Or are we expected to know that?

2) The S5 question (complete scoresheet for classic commercial example) -- same thing: will we get style information with this question?

don't have an answer, but there's an extensive thread devoted to the BJCP exam. If the answer isn't in there, PM TEXLAW. I'm sure he could give an answer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/bjcp-exam-tips-long-post-54842/

good luck on your test:mug:

Also, I have written down here that question T14 always appears on the exam. Is that correct? That leaves no room for T9-T13, according to my notes. I'm wondering if the reality is that that question is pulled from (T9-T14)...

Thanks, that was a good post, but it didn't answer my questions. Google doesn't seem to know, either. I'm sure that someone who has taken it before can answer pretty easily.

The correct answer is that the styles must be judged from memory. Style information is not given, and they also blank out the troubleshooting checkboxes along the left.

1) You're not given anything. They put a beer down in front of you and say, "Judge this as a ___________". For example I was given a Corona (although I didn't know that at the time) and told to judge it as a Vienna Lager.

2) Again, you get nothing. It's literally just as the question states.

They expect you to know everything about all of the styles.

1 - Exactly. I didn't get any crazy ones, but they don't tell you what the beer is, only what to judge it as. 3 out of the 4 beers will probably be in the style they tell you to judge it as. Every once and a while (depending on the person administering the exam), they will give you a Bud and tell you to judge it as a Dry Stout. Well, maybe not that extreme, but you get the point. Sometimes beers DO get entered into the wrong category

2 - They give you the sub style to fill out the form for the classic example. Just regurgitate what the guidelines say as best as you can.

Back