Bitter orange peel for 60 mins of boil?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlimFlamFlo

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and hoping for some advice on a recipe I'm planning to make this week. It calls for 28g (1oz) of bitter orange peel at 60 minutes. This sounds like way too long to me. I've searched this forum for previous posts and the longest time in the boil I've seen is at 15 mins. Pretty much everyone says flameout/5 mins. I'm thinking the same about the white pepper addition - too long?

Is there any way this can be correct? I'm pasting the recipe in below and there's a link to the original https://beerandbrewing.com/high-gravity-saison-with-chinese-white-pepper-and-bitter-orange-peel-recipe/here. It's a Paul Zocco recipe from a magazine.

Any suggestions or observations appreciated :) Been brewing all grain for just over a year and haven't really experimented much with additions.

Thanks very much,
Flim

For 19l

6.8kg Pilsner malt
454g wheat malt
9g chocolate malt (for colour)

28g Northern brewer pellets (6.9% AAU) at 60 mins
28g dried bitter orange peel at 60 minutes
.5 tsp Chinese white pepper at 60 mins

Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Mash at 63c for 60 mins

The way I look at it is, people who write articles and have recipes published probably know what the hell they're doing, and more than likely they've brewed the recipe multiple times, and it's been vetted by the editors of the magazine. And that is how they've achieved the flavor profile they're looking for. The dude seems to know a thing or two about Belgian beers since he has several recipes on their plus an article on there where he actually talks to yeast houses about their strains... so although it may be non traditional (and yes I tend to agree that most citrus additions are in the last 15- I've even done 15 and a whirlpool addition in a recent batch- the idea is you don't want to boil away the volatile oils) I tend to side with the recipe creators on things like this.... I've never understood how, even with my own recipes the people think they're brewing what I achieved by substituting things.... I usually don't post recipes unless I've done them a few times, usually by trial and error until I get a recipe that is worthy to share- so when someone changes something whether it's an ingredient, or technique employed, then in a sense they're NOT brewing my recipe and NOT going to get exactly (or close to ) the beer I deemed good enough to put my name and reputation on....

If this were a single recipe on some website by some guy no one's heard of then yeah, I'd tend to agree with you- but there's enough provenance to prove he knows what he's doing.... If the recipe sounds good, then I would go with HOW THEY DID IT. You can always do it differently next time. But if you want to taste the beer HE made, then follow his directions. It's from a magazine, and it says he's an award winning homebrew... so WHO the brewer posting the recipe is, should count for something.

For example, check out my most recent beer... A Hibiscus, Blood Orange and Sichuan Peppercorn Witbier, I go into exacting detail on how I achieved this amazing flavor that I did... that people, including a pro brewer are blown away by.... It's a seriously involved process.... but it made an amazing beer, and if someone were going to change something up, or cut a corner- then they probably wouldn't be getting the same great beer I ended up making. So some of the methods, or ingredient handling may be involved, or even unconventional... but it's worth it.

Good points, thanks for your help :)
FWIW I wasn't suggesting Zok doesn't know what he's talking about - it's a fairly unconventional step and as it went unremarked in the recipe, I was open to the idea that it could be a typo.
Thanks for sharing your Witbier -I'll definitely give that a try this year. In the meantime, I brewed this today, complete with the 60m peel addition. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Back