Bikers help! Sportser Oil Leak.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So like many discussions on here this is not beer related but knowing there are a lot of bikers on this site I thought I'd ask this here. So I went to go and get my 2008 Sportster 1200XLC out of the storage unit where it has been all winter. Well I didn't get very far because I got there and there was probably half a quart of oil or so on the floor beneath the bike. As far as I can tell it seems to be coming from the tube that goes from the oil tank to the top of the primary/crankcase. Oil appears to be coming out right where the hose meets primary(hose seems to be able to move up and down a little easy at this spot).

Is this just gravity sumping and overflow happening or is something more wrong here?

I did check the dipstick and it shows there is still at a decent level. Help me out guys.

clean it and fire it up and let it idle a while and see where it leaks. my lowrider drips and seeps when sitting but seals up when it runs.

I picture would help, I'm having a hard time visualizing which hose you're talking about.
A half a quart on the floor will produce a HUGE puddle.
What types of modifications have been done to the bike, specificity intake?

I picture would help, I'm having a hard time visualizing which hose you're talking about.
A half a quart on the floor will produce a HUGE puddle.
What types of modifications have been done to the bike, specificity intake?

It is all stock with the exception of the exhaust pipes.

Once I grab it from storage this weekend I'll post a pic.

1/2 quart on concrete will spread out into a really large area if it's left to do it's thing.

Other than that, I am clueless about what might be happening on your motorcycle.

1/2 quart on concrete will spread out into a really large area if it's left to do it's thing.

Other than that, I am clueless about what might be happening on your motorcycle.

Well I'm thinking right now that either th bottom of the oil drain hose is cracked or a seal is bad somewhere and it leaked when the oil gravity sumped but I won't know for sure until I get it home and have a better look. Who knows I might just need to ride it to get everything to work out. It's never been stored this long.

Well it turned out to be a split in the drain line for the oil tank. Line is replaced and bike is good to go. Thank to those who tried to help.

I have an '06, which has a nearly identical oil system. The rubber drain line is a bizarre engineering choice. Mine's never leaked, but I've always wondered why they chose such a strange oil drain/change scheme. My 1972 Honda's dry sump system has a far superior oil tank setup despite its age. Why Harley can't do better, I'll never know.

I have an '06, which has a nearly identical oil system. The rubber drain line is a bizarre engineering choice. Mine's never leaked, but I've always wondered why they chose such a strange oil drain/change scheme. My 1972 Honda's dry sump system has a far superior oil tank setup despite its age. Why Harley can't do better, I'll never know.

I definitely agree that it could be better. The good news though is that it was a very cheap fix. I spent $3 even and got enough hose to make 2 of them and it only took about 10 minutes to do the work.

Latest posts

Back