Biggest (gravity) Beer You’ve Brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally go around to brewing my first big beer, a Russian Imperial Stout, in January that came in at 1.104. I am planning to rebrew that again tomorrow with a slight tweak. Beersmith is telling me 1.114 at 70% efficiency (the last batch I measured 71%).

Honestly I think I like my "big beers" in the 9% to 10% range at the upper end.

I finally go around to brewing my first big beer, a Russian Imperial Stout, in January that came in at 1.104. I am planning to rebrew that again tomorrow with a slight tweak. Beersmith is telling me 1.114 at 70% efficiency (the last batch I measured 71%).

Brewed! Clocked in at 1.108. I brewed 4 gals this time (vs 2.5 gals the first try). With near 20 lbs of grain, 4 gals was about all I could squeeze out of my 10 gal pot with a full volume mash...plus I get to brush off the dust of my old secondary 5 gal carboy.

Last edited:
Never made it above 1.095... beer ended up at 1.015 or so which had me at nearly 11% abv. It was a Westvleteren 12 clone.

A 1.066 OG partial mash amber ale done with WLP001.
Brewed it during the winter a couple years ago and had some stored away into the following summer. It took a while for the 22oz'ers to bottle carb but when the beer was aged some it had one heck of a thick, rocky head. Minus the spices it was a lot like Sam's Winter lager or a light golden bock, only with ale yeast. It was a bit more expensive than my normal beers because it used fresh extract I normally wouldn't purchase.

Adding fermentables to get 1.100+ is easy. The more appropriate question is how many of these finished at expected/desired FG? And to follow up, how many managed to showcase desirable flavors above the jet fuel solventy fusels?

Adding fermentables to get 1.100+ is easy. The more appropriate question is how many of these finished at expected/desired FG? And to follow up, how many managed to showcase desirable flavors above the jet fuel solventy fusels?
It took 15 posts. I expected it much sooner!:bravo:
But in fairness I should have asked for style and how it turned out.

Last edited:
1.196 molasses stout, finished at 1.024 for >20% abv, then aged on french oak with bourbon and vanilla beans. To get that OG I brewed a 1.129 beer, then I slowly added sugar over the course of a week. The stout is actually quite good, and not overly alcoholic in taste.

1.196 molasses stout, finished at 1.024 for >20% abv, then aged on french oak with bourbon and vanilla beans. To get that OG I brewed a 1.129 beer, then I slowly added sugar over the course of a week. The stout is actually quite good, and not overly alcoholic in taste.

We have a winner! :)

The more appropriate question is how many of these finished at expected/desired FG? And to follow up, how many managed to showcase desirable flavors above the jet fuel solventy fusels?

My first try at a RIS turned out great. I hit pretty close to my expected numbers (OG 1.104, FG 1.032, ABV 9.6%). I have a brewing friend that pushes into the 18% range, and he puts a lot of effort into making decent beers...even if I am not into brewing beers that need 2 years to be solid. Brewing high ABV beers is one way to push the envelope of your brewing skills. Fermentation control is critical. I am not ready to push myself much over 10% or 11% yet.

RIS headed into secondary to age on bourbon wood chips - OG 1.101. FG (corrected for alcohol) 1.027. 9.5%. Sample tasted pretty good. I did an overnight mash, and it worked well for me.

Back