Bigfoot -- how long before do they brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone knows when Sierra Nevada brews Bigfoot? A month before release? A year? I have a bottle of 2010 open right now--Lord, is it good--and am trying to figure out how old it truly is.

Cheers.

I'm watching a Bigfoot documentary on National Geographic right now. Do people really think "The Patterson Film" from the 60's is real?

Wish I had some Bigfoot Ale.

Hmm... Now I'm curious too...

harry+bigfoot.jpg

I've never had Bigfoot but I really want to try it. Can't find it for the life of me around here.

Have you tried emailing them? I thought about emailing Deschuetes with the same question about the Abyss.

Have you tried emailing them? I thought about emailing Deschuetes with the same question about the Abyss.

I hadn't considered it but thats a pretty good idea. I may do that in the morning. I know it's gotta be in the area (birmingham or Auburn, al) but I'm just missing it.

I hadn't considered it but thats a pretty good idea. I may do that in the morning. I know it's gotta be in the area (birmingham or Auburn, al) but I'm just missing it.

All you have to say is (well this is what I'm planning on emailing Deschuetes) "Hello brewing Gods, I am a homebrewer down here in lowly old California (insert your state and relative orientation to brewery here) and have brewed a beer inspired by your delicious Abyss stout (insert beer name here). It is busy bubbling away in the fermenter, but I was curious as to how long you age a beer of this size. I know I could never attain the level of deliciousness you have, but a little bit of information on the aging period would be much appreciated."

Give or take some ass kissing as necessary.

I emailed Stone with the same question about Double Bastard. They told me when it hits store shelves, it's 4 weeks old. They said it's delicious right off the shelf, but if I have the patience of a saint, it will really come into it's own in about 2 years.

So, I heard back from Sierra Nevada.

I'm on my phone now, but I'll post the full reply later tonight.

In a nutshell he said they start Brewing in Nov, and release in Jan. The batches are blended and the bottle conditioning is 14 days before they're shipped. There's also a bottling date on the bottle.

last year drove thru bigfoot country so at the brewery, while waiting to eat, i order a bigfoot beer, 8 oz in a brandy sniffer i was like wtf.

Here's their response:

Bigfoot is brewed starting in late November and is released in the middle of January. Not all the beer is brewed at the same time or shipped out at the same time. We usually brew off and on for about two months and then those batches are blended over several packaging’s. It does take some time to ship, arrive at the distributor and then get out to the retail outlets. Tank times are usually about a month, with fermentation taking about 10 days, followed by cold storage in the fermenters. You will find the bottling date on the side of the bottle. After bottling, it takes another 14 days to bottle condition the beer in our warehouse. Then it is shipped to the distributors. I included a link on the instructions of reading the bottle date code.

http://www.sierranevada.com//codehelp.html

All you have to say is (well this is what I'm planning on emailing Deschuetes) "Hello brewing Gods, I am a homebrewer down here in lowly old California (insert your state and relative orientation to brewery here) and have brewed a beer inspired by your delicious Abyss stout (insert beer name here). It is busy bubbling away in the fermenter, but I was curious as to how long you age a beer of this size. I know I could never attain the level of deliciousness you have, but a little bit of information on the aging period would be much appreciated."

Give or take some ass kissing as necessary.

lol...Epic.

Back