Big Oatmeal Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
alright gang, my turn to go under the microscope again.

i'm going to do coffee in secondary. debating chocolate if i can get a dark chocolate flavor i'd be interested. i was thinking of adding course ground beans to a paint strainer 4 days before kegging.

6 gallons, 70% efficiency.

17# Golden Promise
2# "Oat Malt"
1# chocolate malt
1# roasted barley
12oz black barley
12oz Caramel 80
12oz Caramel 120

1oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Fuggles @ 20

WLP007 expecting 77% attentuation.

OG 1.096
FG 1.022
IBU 43
SRM 61 Lintner
ABV 9.7%
BU:GU 0.45

i brought the hop bitterness down to compensate for the coffee beans. not sure if i'm in the ball park. i don't want this to be super bitter from hops. i don't think that would go well with an oated beer. coffee bitterness may be a little easier to swallow with oats. no pun intended.

i expect to bring this out around february or march. when it's still bitter cold out.

concerns:

about the coffee. would it be worthwhile to add some super dark roast to get a smoke effect? i was thinking of going with a kenya AA or sumatra initially. maybe a pinch of french or italian roast?

is my method for adding coffee on point?

will a touch of fuggles add anything to this?

is my grain bill solid?

dark chocolate?

anything you'd like to add would be awesome.

As far as the coffee goes, I had tried a few types including a Kenyan, Sumatra and a French Roast; my personal preference was the Sumatra.

I conducted my secondary in a 5 gallon corny keg, with an airlock. I placed the very coarsely crushed beans to a muslin bag and tossed them in for about 5 days. After that I cold crashed it to allow some of the coffee sediment to fall out and get trapped in the yeast at the base of the keg prior to racking to the final keg. It came out great.

Good luck with it!

Joe

I ground 4 oz of decaf espresso, and put it cold water overnight to use the next day. There was almost a quart of liquid, and I poured in filtered. I stirred the hack out of it and tasted, not enough coffee I thought, so I gave the coffee another quick rinse and poured it into the secondary. I thought okay,... maybe. Forward a month, and the coffee taste was overpowering. I love espressos, and that was too much coffee for me. Since my coffee fiasco, I just can't enjoy any stout or porter with a coffee presence. I guess my point is, go easy or the coffee (2oz or so) at least the first time. Of course, YMMV.

I ground 4 oz of decaf espresso, and put it cold water overnight to use the next day. There was almost a quart of liquid, and I poured in filtered. I stirred the hack out of it and tasted, not enough coffee I thought, so I gave the coffee another quick rinse and poured it into the secondary. I thought okay,... maybe. Forward a month, and the coffee taste was overpowering. I love espressos, and that was too much coffee for me. Since my coffee fiasco, I just can't enjoy any stout or porter with a coffee presence. I guess my point is, go easy or the coffee (2oz or so) at least the first time. Of course, YMMV.

thanks. i was curious how much coffe to use. glad i didn't use the whole pound.

Back