Big mouth modular keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw the email for NB new big mouth modular keg. Anyone know the safety and/or holding pressure of the band clamps?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/big-mouth-modular-keg-and-expansion

If it works I guess it is kinda cool. With all the big mouth bubbler issues i don't think I'd want to be a guinea pig for any of their new products, but I do like what they are coming up with

Those style band clamps are really durable. We use them on high pressure steam separators at my work with no issue. Operating at about 80psi, so at around 290°f. We also use them on a few sidestream filters, which operate at about 35psi. No issues with those either. They're all over 20 years old too!

Basically, they're pretty good. Just be careful when tightening the collar. It's easy to strip and/or cross thread.

IMO, this is a great idea for giving the user multiple size options when kegging. Plus, it makes cleaning a breeze. Too bad the price is disgusting to say the least...

IMO, this is a great idea for giving the user multiple size options when kegging. Plus, it makes cleaning a breeze. Too bad the price is disgusting to say the least...

Multiple sizes in this case means a multiple of two. 1 gallon (that you could also do with two growlers) or 5 gallon. I'd much rather have the ones MoreBeer just announced. Though the 1.5 gallon size is also a little strange.

Wait, what is the point of this? Is it so you can have a keg that's either 1 gallon or 5 gallons? Is it so you can get in there and clean it out?

I just don't get it. As others have pointed out you can buy a 1.5 gallon keg and a 5 gallon keg for cheaper. PBW does a great job of keeping things clean, no need to pop your keg in half to keep it clean.

:confused:

I'd be careful with NB. They've been releasing a lot of new products, and I'm afraid they're using their customers to do their testing. Might want to wait for a few real reviews first.

This was also my initial thought...they should contract you to fix
The bugs...like you did with the lid on the bubbler

Wait, what is the point of this? Is it so you can have a keg that's either 1 gallon or 5 gallons? Is it so you can get in there and clean it out?

I just don't get it. As others have pointed out you can buy a 1.5 gallon keg and a 5 gallon keg for cheaper. PBW does a great job of keeping things clean, no need to pop your keg in half to keep it clean.

:confused:
Well they have an additional opening with a hook to attach dry hop or other flavor additions which can be easily removed. kinda cool but not justified for the price

lol I had the exact same "Why?" thought last night.
This thing makes almost zero sense.
Any ease of cleaning advantage is negated by having some many more things to clean and sanitize...

Cheers!

if the product will pick up, i could see a conical attachment to use the keg as fermentation vessel.
modular stuff is nice, but usually modular pieces end up costing as much as individual pieces that are available on the market today.

-Yev

Back