Big dry hop mistake! What do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel78

Reaction score
I decided to brew a batch of beer about a week ago. It's my first one in well over 2 years. As I was brewing, everything was perfect. I hit my mash temps, added everything like I was supposed to, got the wort chilled fast and put into the fermenter. My problem is, when I was putting the wort into the fermenter, I was being rushed by someone to finish up so we could go somewhere. In my stupidity, i added my dry hops to the fermenter immediately. I didn't think much about it until I was going to add the dry hop addition today and could not find them. I opened the fermenter and there they were.

I am brewing an ipa and know that adding hops before the majority of the fermentation is complete can cause problems. But since its been so long for me, I would like to know what I should do now and what to expect out of this beer. Any help is appreciated

It will be fine. Not a whirlpool or 0 minute addition, but whatever. I would go ahead and dry hop now if you can get hops.

Adding the dry hops prematurely won't "hurt" the beer. It just won't have the intense dry hop aroma and flavor. You may want to add some more hops now that fermentation is complete. Or you could just package it and enjoy!

Fermentation will be fine but I would dry hop again after fermentation.

It'll be fine! If it was mine, I'd pick up another dry hop addition to make up for the early hopping. Extra hops never hurt anyone! [emoji6]

Edit: lol, looks like quite a few people beat me to it!

Wow! Thanks for all the fast responses guys. so the general concensus is to let it roll and add another dry hop addition? I'll go out and grab some more. Should i take it to a secondary or just throw the new dry hop addition on top of whats already there and let it roll in the primary? my plan was to do it all in the primary.

Welcome back to brewing! Tell your buddy that you shouldn't rush art.

I certainly won't be bad as is, just not quite what you were after. I quite often add hops at the beginning of fermentation, just so it's done. If you're still worried then go get some hops and add them as you would have. You could get away with adding fewer of them, but that's up to you. Your plan to do all this in primary only is solid.

Let us know how it turns out.

That's one reason I wont brew or bottle if I have to be somewhere that day and think I'll be cutting it close. I don't like to rush beer making, and always feel like I've forgot something. The worst is when you're trying to clean up and get equipment cleaned, and the SWMBO is ready to walk out the door.

Latest posts

Back