Big Belgian Alt Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
So, I wanted something really big and malty to drink this winter and came up with the following recipe. I'm trying to get kind of a malty, roasted plum flavor.
I also plan on aging this for at least 6 months. Just want to know what people think. Anything that I should change or tweek?

----------------

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Est Original Gravity: 1.095 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.6 %
Bitterness: 45.1 IBU
Est Color: 26.6 SRM

5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) - 64.1 %
1.80 lb Munich Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) - 23.1 %
0.45 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) - 5.8 %
0.45 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) - 5.8 %
0.10 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) - 1.3 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) - 45.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530)

Looks good to me, although I'd probably drop the aromatic if you can't mash it.

I assume you are planning a big starter? I really like 530, it should do well in this beer (start it cool, but let it get into the 70s to make sure it finishes out).

I can mash it, but wanted more the flavor than the sugars so I was just going to steep. Should I just mash it? And if I mash it should I go ahead and mash the special b as well? And yes, planning like a 2 liter starter but can't decide between WLP530 or WLP500. Whitelabs says WLP500 gives more plum flavors. I've used Wyeast 3787 before (same as WLP530) and didn't notice anything resembling plum or stone fruit. What do you think?

500 has more banana to me, but I've only used it in lower gravity beers (as far as I can recall off the top of my head).

I was more worried about the starches you'd get from the aromatic if it wasn't mashed (not a big deal for such a small amount, but something worth being aware of). Aromatic technically has enough enzymes to self convert, but just barely, so unless you are adding some pils I would steep the Special B separately.

Ok, well banana is what I don't want. So I should consider mashing the aromatic and steep the special b?

Keep the temp down in that case, and make sure you pitch lots of yeast and give them plenty of oxygen. I think 530 is one of the less bananay Belgian ale strains, although 550 is good as well.

Yep, mash aromatic, steep special b.

So I should consider mashing the aromatic and steep the special b?

I would toss 1.5 to 2 lbs of Pilsner malt in with the aromatic so that you have a little more volume to your mash and ensure full conversion of the aromatic. While it can convert itself, it's pretty slow, and controlling the temperature in a micro-mash can be a bit of a pain. Just reduce the DME by a pound.

Adding the pilsner though, I'm going to need to extend my boil to 90 minutes though right?
And if I did add the pilsner, the flavor profile wouldn't really change I guess.

You can use two-row or pale ale malt instead of Pilsner, especially since you are using light DME (I thought I read extra light - my bad). That way, a 60-minute boil would be sufficient.

I think either one would work fine. Or you could use a mix of Extra Light and Light and use either (or both) Pilsner or Pale in the mash. Pilsner malt will be somewhat more subtle, sweeter and grainier, whereas the pale malt will be a little more malty and toasty. I'd go with whatever you have on hand or can get most easily.

Ok, so after some deliberation, I've come up with the following recipe. My question now is, is at what point would this become TOO sweet. I know with age it'll sweeten but I definitely don't want anything like a barley wine, and I've never done anything this big before.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.095 SG
Estimated FG: 1.020
Estimated Color: 26.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.60 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 45.45 %
1.80 lb Munich Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 22.73 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 18.94 %
0.46 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.81 %
0.46 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.81 %
0.10 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 1.26 %
1.00 oz Magnum [13.60 %] (60 min) Hops 43.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787)

Back