Bielmeier Mash Tun...Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cprague

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to brewing done a few extract batch/half grain batches with success and want to move into all grain. I wanted to do the typical Rubbermaid cooler setup but living in Czech Republic has made finding any type of cooler bigger than something for a picnic impossible. Kinda surprising as an American and how prevalent coolers are in the US. Nobody has ever heard of the wonderful tradition of tailgating. I even contacted the European Rubbermaid distributor and they wanted 125 euros for a 10 gallon. Kind of ridiculous. So I found this German company

http://www.bielmeier-hausgeraete.com/en/Preserving-Cooker-Mulled-Wine-Machine/

Thought this would do the trick and maybe even a bit advantageous given that you can set the temperature not have to worry about fluctuation. Anyone have any experience with these? Could it be used? Any thoughts on the coil in the bottom affecting flavor?

They have some brew systems also. Probably gonna buy the wort kettle, the electric would be easier to use in my small apartment.

http://www.bielmeier-hausgeraete.com/en/Brewing-System/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you looked into brew in a bag techniques. No mash tun is needed. Just a big mesh bag and a boil kettle. Simple, cheap, and effective!

It looks like theres a false bottom accessory that comes with it, IRC the element is in a sunk section of the bottom, so will be under the false bottom. That would stop the grain coming into contact with the element, so I dont think you'd have to worry about that. Also, with it being insulated I doubt you will actually need the element much if at all during the mash, so I really wouldnt worry about any impact on flavour.

I've been looking at getting one of these, coincidentally I was going to use this for BIAB. I currently BIAB 2gallon batches in a 3gallon SS pot but the heat loss duing mash is a nightmare & I'd like to have more capacity for bigger beers / higher gravity beers.

Did you buy the Bielmeier kettle in the end? I am looking into one myself, also living in Czech Republic, in a flat, so exactly the same predicament as yourself! Cheers

Guy

I am also wondering if you had succes with this device. I live in a small apartment with no yard and was looking at this for my boil kettle? Any thoughts?

Back