BIAB mash temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wilserbrewer said:
One must realize that it takes a good 5 minutes or so for the grain and strike water to stabilize...often I feel people dough in quickly and check the temp.... Then a minute later it has fallen...patience grasshopper, wait at least 5 minutes for the grain and water to stabilize!!!

I'm often surprised when I check temp at the half way point or at the end, and it's higher than when I doughed in. It really does take some time, so I'm not too concerned if I missed my temp by a couple degrees at first reading.

I usually heat my strike water to about 6 degrees above strike temp and find that is plenty to hit target temp. When I dough in, I stir like a mad man to really get everything stirred around while checking temp. I leave the mash alone for 20 mins, check and stir again. Usually do that for a 75 mins mash. Checking and stirring a couple times. I have found my mash temp to drop 4 degrees over that time, but it typically holds well in the first 20. I think the stirring helps my efficiency, but maybe Im wrong. I've had pretty good results so far though.

Latest posts

Back