BIAB Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkinson1963

Reaction score
So I have done at least a dozen BIAB so far and decided to try an experiment.

One thing with BIAB is the cloudy wort so I though a filter bag would do a better job. So I bought a 1 micron filter bag from an environmental firm I know for $20. Bag size 24" wide by 30" long.

So I made my typical house bitter, 11# grain, mash at 65C.

I usually heat the 7.5 gallons of water to near mash temp, add the bag and grains and heat until the grains are at mash temp, leave alone for 60 mins, then mash out.

So with the filter bag got to mash temp, left alone 60 minutes came back checked the mash temp to see how much the temp dropped.

I got 70c, WTF??, it seems the filter bag insulated the grains from the hotter water on the outside of the bag. So as the mash progressed the temp outside the bag and inside the bag equalized.

So lesson learned when using a filter bag heat the water to maybe 1c above mash temp before adding bag and grain.

The wort/beer was amazing clear by the way and is aging as I write.

Are you guys milling your grain down to flour because BIAB allows for it? I BIAB with roughly the same crush I would use in a MLT and cloudiness is minimal although efficiency is slightly lower.

Are you guys milling your grain down to flour because BIAB allows for it? I BIAB with roughly the same crush I would use in a MLT and cloudiness is minimal although efficiency is slightly lower.

Nope, standard mill. I'm using paint strainer bags, which are definitely courser.

And why does cloudy wort matter?

I have done about 5 BIAB batches and yes the wort was cloudy and there was a lot of trub, but the final product sure seemed nice and clear.

And why does cloudy wort matter?

I have done about 5 BIAB batches and yes the wort was cloudy and there was a lot of trub, but the final product sure seemed nice and clear.

More loss when transferring from the fermenter since there is a lot more trub in the fermenter.

Back