BIAB Brew Video. From Grain To Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad1

Reaction score
A video I made of a BIAB IIPA batch That just finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you cover your kettle during the boil? Of all the videos I've seen, I've never seen someone cover while boiling. Won't it affect your boil off rate? Also isn't part of the reason the lid is off is to concentrate the wort a little?

Why do you cover your kettle during the boil? Of all the videos I've seen, I've never seen someone cover while boiling. Won't it affect your boil off rate? Also isn't part of the reason the lid is off is to concentrate the wort a little?

Some people do that to get to a boil more quickly. Other do it because their stove is not powerful enough to maintain a vigorous boil.

Of course there is always a risk of a boilover.

I've always heard it wasn't supposed to be covered because of DMS evaporates during boiling?

Yup, this^^^. The kettle needs to have a way to vent the DMS or it will just condense on the lid and fall back into the kettle.

Other than that, it's a well done video and helps illustrate the process. Thanks for sharing!

+1, at work and can't watch yet. Will watch at home. PS. The others are right about the evaporation. Maybe after your boil starts you can partially remove it to both keep up the boil and allow evaporation?

Just a thought,

Here's a dumb question. Why do you dump stuff in the measuring cup, then dump it in the pot? It just seems like an added, unnecessary step?

Yeah I guess the main reason why I had it covered was because I just thought it boils alot more vigorously, and quickly. At the time of this batch I hadn't really read anything about DMS and keeping the lid off; my mistake. This batch didn't have any pilsner in it, and also I was opening the lid and venting it quite often. I did hops like every 10 min and probably left off the lid for the last 15 min. I still lost about 1 G of wort in the boil. I've done several pilsner based batches since and have always left the lid off and boiled for 90min... And I used the measuring cup just because I fear that I might drop one of the plastic bags into the wort by accident, ha. Just seemed like it has a better grip. plus sometimes I will mix a few different kinds of hops together in the cup and then add them at the same time. Just a habit.

Back