BIAB basket size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slc12312

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting ready to purchase a kettle and basket for my BIAB set up. I plan on starting with 5 gallon batches (since I am new at this), but I also know myself and my friends, I will be jumping to 10 gallon batches once I get the hang of it. Is there such a thing as the perfect set up for BIAB, that works well for both size batches? And, if I buy a kettle and basket (Bayou Classic model B144 basket, 44 qts.), do you think that will be sufficient in size to hold the liner and grain for 10 gallon batches? We all like big beers, so being a noob, I'm just not sure what to get. I have everything else I need, just stuck on the size pot and basket to get.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

There's no way a 44 qt (11 gallon) kettle will be able to hold enough water for a 10 gallon BIAB batch.

You'll want a minimum of a 15 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches, and that's without BIAB.

I agree. I'm happy with my 10 gallon pot, but if you know for sure you're going to jump to 10 gallon batches, get a 15 gallon pot.

One other thing, get a couple of good size bags (never hurts to have backups) whether you get a 10 or 15 gal kettle. The 5 gallon paint strainer bags are too small for 10 gallon+ kettles.

Yesfan said:
I agree. I'm happy with my 10 gallon pot, but if you know for sure you're going to jump to 10 gallon batches, get a 15 gallon pot.

One other thing, get a couple of good size bags (never hurts to have backups) whether you get a 10 or 15 gal kettle. The 5 gallon paint strainer bags are too small for 10 gallon+ kettles.

Thanks for the input! I guess my original question was a little unclear. I am figuring I absolutely need at least a 15 gallon pot for 10 gallon boils, heck, 15 gallons might even be pushing it considering the total volume of liquid needed. I guess what I really need to know is if that 44 quart basket will be large enough for the bag and all of the grains for a big bear, 10 gallon batch.

I started with that exact pot and basket... worked great for 5 gallon batches.
Then, I stepped up to a keggle, and used the basket in that (had to cut the entire top off the keg).
Now I use the pot for my HLT, and went false bottom, direct fired MT.

Get some fabric and make your own bags.

The great thing about getting the Bayou Classic pots with the baskets is that the baskets that are matched to each pot are designed to sit 3" above the bottom of the pot, which keeps the bag off the direct heat, and allows for install of a ball-valve/sight glass, etc. under the basket without them touching. You could also install an electric element if you wanted to go that route in the future.

I have the 44qt pot with the basket, and use it for up to 7 gallon batches. I also have a 15.5 gallon keggle, and can pretty easily do typical gravity 10 gallon batches in there, but couldn't do much more than about 22-24 lbs of grain. You could always do a dunk sparge or fly sparge step and use less water volume in the mash if you want to.

I thought I would do a bunch of 10 gallon batches when I got the keggle, but honestly I only do about 2-3 a year. I just enjoy variety, and don't typically want 10 gallons of any given beer. When I do do 10 gallon batches, they are typically experiments where I split the batch into 2-3 different batches.

Also, heads up that you don't want to get the 15 gallon pot and expect to do 5 gallon batches in it. Because the basket sits 3" above the bottom of the pot, 6.8-7.2 gallons of full volume water has a tough time covering the grain bed without having to babysit it. It's very possible, but it's a PITA.

When you buy the pot in the combo with the basket, the basket is only like $20.00, as opposed to about $50.00 when you get it separately. I would suggest getting the 44qt/11 gallon pot with the basket (I got mine for $92.00 shipped), and brew on that for a bit, then if you want to go up to 10 gallon batches, go ahead and get the 80qt/20 gallon with the basket from there. I think you'll find that either you won't care too much about 10 gallon batches, or if you do, you'll be happy that you have separate pots and baskets that are specialized for the jobs.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input! I guess my original question was a little unclear. I am figuring I absolutely need at least a 15 gallon pot for 10 gallon boils, heck, 15 gallons might even be pushing it considering the total volume of liquid needed. I guess what I really need to know is if that 44 quart basket will be large enough for the bag and all of the grains for a big bear, 10 gallon batch.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood.

The Bayou pots have different diameters, so the smaller baskets wouldn't 'fit' in a larger bot. By that I mean, you'd certainly be able to put the basket in the pot, but it wouldn't seat properly - you'd need something to support the pot.

Also, heads up that you don't want to get the 15 gallon pot and expect to do 5 gallon batches in it. Because the basket sits 3" above the bottom of the pot, 6.8-7.2 gallons of full volume water has a tough time covering the grain bed without having to babysit it. It's very possible, but it's a PITA.

I use the 15 gallon pot with basket for 5 gallon BIAB. I usually have to fire up the burner 30min into the mash to get the heat up again. It will fall about 3 degrees during that time. Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

I have the 62qt (15½ gallon) Bayou Classic SS w/basket and I use it for 5 gallon BIAB. I love it. Great pot. I wrap my pot with an old sleeping bag and it holds the heat of the mash very well, maybe only a 1° drop in 60 minutes.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided that I will go ahead and just get a 10 gallon pot, and maybe a pot/basket combo (11 gallon Bayou). I'm new at this, and figure I just need to leave my lofty thoughts of 10 gallon batches aside for now, until I know what I am doing... and until I get consistent results. Besides, 10 gallons seems like a lot of beer, and my line of thinking is that I'd rather maybe do 2 different 5 gallon batches for a little variety. Which of course, doesn't mean I couldn't do that in a 15 gallon brew pot. It just seems that the ideal size for 5G batches is around a 10G pot size, and 10G batches in 15-20G pots. I don't want to spend the rest of my life capping bottles either, so the last thing to decide is...to bottle or not. I do have small freezer that isn't used, that I can convert, it would hold 4 corny kegs and a CO2 tank comfortably. But then that is another large expense. And as another poster suggested, I will make my own bags. Probably the least expensive thing in this whole project, outside of the water.

The great thing about getting the Bayou Classic pots with the baskets is that the baskets that are matched to each pot are designed to sit 3" above the bottom of the pot, which keeps the bag off the direct heat, and allows for install of a ball-valve/sight glass, etc. under the basket without them touching. You could also install an electric element if you wanted to go that route in the future.

I thought I would do a bunch of 10 gallon batches when I got the keggle, but honestly I only do about 2-3 a year. I just enjoy variety, and don't typically want 10 gallons of any given beer.

When you buy the pot in the combo with the basket, the basket is only like $20.00, as opposed to about $50.00 when you get it separately. I would suggest getting the 44qt/11 gallon pot with the basket (I got mine for $92.00 shipped), and brew on that for a bit, then if you want to go up to 10 gallon batches, go ahead and get the 80qt/20 gallon with the basket from there. I think you'll find that either you won't care too much about 10 gallon batches, or if you do, you'll be happy that you have separate pots and baskets that are specialized for the jobs.

Good luck!

Thank you for the sound advice. You helped to put me in perspective, because I do agree, I will most likely do 5G batches as well, so I might as well get the best size for that. I guess everyone makes what they have work, and that is a good thing. I , fortunately have access to 20G pots (and larger) with lids at no expense, so if I ever want to do a larger batch sometime in the future, I guess I can.

So do you suggest that I install a ball valve as well? Probably a dumb question, since the answer is most likely YES. I will install a sight glass, not sure about a temp gauge though as I have a nice corded digital termometer I can use.

I bought the bayou 62qt w/ basket and added the ball valve and sight glass. I was in the same boat as you when I bought mine. I went with the 62 because I like to keep the same pale ale on tap at all times and I'll use the pot to make 10 gallons at a time.

For me, I just like knowing I can still make 10g if I want, even though I mostly brew 5 gallons.

YES! Definitely install a weldless bulkhead and ball valve. I'd recommend a pickup tube as well to get that last little bit of wort when you are transferring. Transfering hot or even cooled wort with the valve beats siphoning or lifting and dumping the kettle any day. I don't know about you, but I'm too old to be lifting 50-60 lbs of scolding hot wort, and I'm only 36.

I got a bulkhead, three-piece ball valve, stainless pickup tube, and the step bit to drill everything from Bargain Fittings for about $38.00.

Yes sir. Ball valves have changed my life.

I just use a SS 90° bend for my pickup. I had an extra laying around and it works perfectly.

Okay...so I am reading reviews on the SS Bayou kettles, and there have been some complaints about them cracking, developing pinhole leaks, the handles (riveted vs welded), and the metal being too thin... causing them to warp/crack under high heat. Has anyone who has used these pots have this issue at all? I can't imagine this to be a consistent problem, considered what they are used for.

I might go with aluminum, I can get decent sized pots from Sam's Club with lids, make a false bottom, add the ball valve, sight glass, season it, and just forego the basket. Do you think I need a thermometer as well, or just use the digital one I currently use to test meat when grilling. It is instant read, and very accurate.

Yep, that's the same set up I use.

At the height I installed the the ball valve the 90° ended up about 1/4 inch off the bottom.

It creates and maintains a siphon fine, and its the full 1/2in width for better flow.

......Besides, 10 gallons seems like a lot of beer, and my line of thinking is that I'd rather maybe do 2 different 5 gallon batches for a little variety........I don't want to spend the rest of my life capping bottles either, so the last thing to decide is...to bottle or not. I do have small freezer that isn't used, that I can convert, it would hold 4 corny kegs and a CO2 tank comfortably. But then that is another large expense.....

Then, imo, get the Bayou 44qt kettle/basket combo and the money you would spend on a 15 gallon kettle can be put towards some used 5 gallon corny kegs. There's a distributor on ebay that I (and other members here) bought our kegs. When I started this hobby last summer, the kegs were the first thing I got (have 6 of them).

You can also get an external temp controller for cheap on ebay, so then all you would need is some beer/gas lines and the CO2 tank. For now, I'm just using a picnic tap until I can get the rest of my keezer project finished. That's one keg at a time on tap, but that's also 50 bottles less I have to cap on my batches too.

Okay...so I am reading reviews on the SS Bayou kettles, and there have been some complaints about them cracking, developing pinhole leaks, the handles (riveted vs welded), and the metal being too thin... causing them to warp/crack under high heat. Has anyone who has used these pots have this issue at all? I can't imagine this to be a consistent problem, considered what they are used for. ...........

I haven't not read anything about that here nor have I had any problems in my limited experience.

Also, keep in mind for a 5 gallon batch, and 10 - 12 lbs of grains, that bag is going to be HEAVY. For a 10 gallon batch and 20 - 24 lbs of grains, you would need a pully to lift it. Not sure if you were thinking of BIAB for 10 gallon batches just wanted to through that out there. 2 - 3 gallons with BIAB is great, once you start hitting 5 gallons plus, that bag gets quite heavy, just remember that and have a plan pre-brew day to handle it.

The pulley is pretty easy to do though. You can get a pulley, eye bolt/hook, and rope for around $10. Hang it from your garage or a ladder.

Okay...so I am reading reviews on the SS Bayou kettles, and there have been some complaints about them cracking, developing pinhole leaks, the handles (riveted vs welded), and the metal being too thin... causing them to warp/crack under high heat. Has anyone who has used these pots have this issue at all? I can't imagine this to be a consistent problem, considered what they are used for.

I've used mine for approximately 15 batches so far and not a single issue.

I've used mine for approximately 15 batches so far and not a single issue.

Good to know, I'll order my pot and basket today. Found the combo online for $99 with free shipping! Not a bad deal.

The great thing about getting the Bayou Classic pots with the baskets is that the baskets that are matched to each pot are designed to sit 3" above the bottom of the pot, which keeps the bag off the direct heat, and allows for install of a ball-valve/sight glass, etc. under the basket without them touching.
Good luck!

When heating up the water for the mash, with the basket in the kettle, and the grain bag ready to go... do you think that the water in the 3" space between the bottom of the basket and the kettle will have (generally speaking) a big temperature variation? Or would I not need to worry about it since I am taking temperature measurements from inside the bag anyway. Or would that volume of water help to maintain the mash temps?

Just thinking about it, that is all. I guess if I think about it, it is no different than if I were using a false bottom. I am ordering the kettle and basket today, $99 shipped.

When heating up the water for the mash, with the basket in the kettle, and the grain bag ready to go... do you think that the water in the 3" space between the bottom of the basket and the kettle will have (generally speaking) a big temperature variation? Or would I not need to worry about it since I am taking temperature measurements from inside the bag anyway. Or would that volume of water help to maintain the mash temps?

Just thinking about it, that is all. I guess if I think about it, it is no different than if I were using a false bottom. I am ordering the kettle and basket today, $99 shipped.

I just did a BIAB 3 1/2 gallon pre-boil batch. I wrapped the bag around the basket and heated up the water, then mashed in. Stirred it well, and measured the temp at 156. I then pulled it off, put it in the house, wrapped it in towels, and then 60 min later, checked it, it was still at 156. I think the water surrounding the basket must have help to keep it at that temp.

Back