BFD Brewhaus - Natural Gas Conversion Complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFD_BrewGeek

Reaction score
Free at last from 20lb LP cans...

DSC_4051.jpg

DSC_4052.jpg

DSC_4053.jpg

DSC_4054.jpg

DSC_4055.jpg

DSC_4056.jpg

DSC_4059.jpg

DSC_4061.jpg

DSC_4061c.jpg

DSC_4068.jpg

Wow - looks like quite the project to run that line. Mine was a short run, but I had to drill through concrete to get a line to my garage.

Going NG is great. Much cheaper, and no more running out for LP mid-boil.

Looks nice! What size kettles are those, and which burners did you use? I just ran NG lines outside and am planning on building a stand, but I'm agonizing over the kettle/burner combo.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Looking at your stand got me curious about the pilot light system. Still trying to find where I can get my set up from. Can you take a pic of your burners from above so I can see how you have yours situated? And also maybe where you got your pilot lights from? Thanks

Looks nice! What size kettles are those, and which burners did you use? I just ran NG lines outside and am planning on building a stand, but I'm agonizing over the kettle/burner combo.

HLT and MLT are 15 gallons, the BK is 20 gallons...Blichmann floor burners mounted to steel angle platforms...

Looking at your stand got me curious about the pilot light system. Still trying to find where I can get my set up from. Can you take a pic of your burners from above so I can see how you have yours situated? And also maybe where you got your pilot lights from? Thanks

Using a standing pilot...burners from PEX Supply (now Supplyhouse):

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Q314A6094-Honeywell-Q314A6094-Pilot-Burner

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Robertshaw-11-293-1-4-x-5-Pilot-Burner-Tubing-w-Fittings

1/4" ball valve for shut off and a 1/4" needle valve for trim.

I'm on my way out of town, so I wont be able to post a pic of the burner from the top until this weekend, but I located the pilot burner (with the bracket removed) 1/4" above the main burner level, inside the wedge shaped opening closest to the lighting hole in the burner shield...

HLT and MLT are 15 gallons, the BK is 20 gallons...Blichmann floor burners mounted to steel angle platforms...

Thanks! I figured out blichmann burners after looking closer at the pictures. 15-15-20 is actually the exact kettle setup I was thinking about. Does that work for most 10 gallon batches and lower OG 1/2 bbl batches? Also how well do the burners work on NG? And any advice that I haven't asked for would be appreciated since I'm close to pulling the trigger on burners, kettles, pumps and stand components.

Thanks! I figured out blichmann burners after looking closer at the pictures. 15-15-20 is actually the exact kettle setup I was thinking about. Does that work for most 10 gallon batches and lower OG 1/2 bbl batches? Also how well do the burners work on NG? And any advice that I haven't asked for would be appreciated since I'm close to pulling the trigger on burners, kettles, pumps and stand components.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get a 20 gal MLT. The largest batches I've done are 12 gal, 1.070 OG. The burners seem to work very similarly to LP operation, but I haven't used them for a real batch yet, just auto-tuning the PID's.

Where did you get that braided line fro the wall to the brewery? I want to go NG over the winter and need to start sourcing the big ticket items like that. The rest is pretty simple for my layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, It looks a lot less rigid than traditional NG line I have seen. Does ~$115 sound about what you paid?

Aware of Tejas and their awesome products as well. I am looking for a more flexible option to the typical rigid hose. I want it to lay on the garage floor like a garden hose that isn't under pressure. Make sense?

I want it to lay on the garage floor like a garden hose that isn't under pressure. Make sense?

That does make sense. I would say that the Tejas Smokers hose is not really that rigid. Look at the dark grey colored hose on their website. I also purchased the quick disconnect with ball valve (item #104023) so when I am done brewing for the day, I disconnect the hose and roll it up on my brew cart that holds the HLT.

My brew cart has a gas manifold that I built using black iron gas pipe from Lowes. On this manifold I added a quick disconnect to provide gas to the BK burner.

I run the same piping to my 3 burners on my Brutus10 clone, but for now use a low pressure propane regulator and grill sized tanks. I just want to skip refilling or needing more than one tank laying around to trip over. That's a slick valve/QD in one, but pricey too boot!

Latest posts

Back