Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plastic-carboy-744.jpg

Manufacturer - Better Bottle, Div. High-Q Inc.

Price Payed: $30.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Unbreakable, lightweight, cost only slightly more than glass
Cons: they melt, they can scratch

Better-Bottle fermentation carboys are:
1) Unbreakable and tough,
2) Taste- and Odor-free,
3) Virtually impermeable to oxygen,
4) Clear and colorless,
5) Incredibly lightweight, and more . . .
They are made from special, scientifically tested, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) copolymer plastic that is non-absorbing, non-porous, and non-wetting (hydrophobic), so it does not carry over flavors from one batch of wine or beer to the next and it is easy to clean and sanitize. Optional, racking adapters and valves make oxygen-free racking and dispensing simple and convenient " no siphoning is necessary. Optional closures that use O-rings to make tighter seals are more easily cleaned and sanitized that conventional stoppers.
I love my Better Bottles, specifically for the unbreakableness. I'll never have to worry about accidentally bumping a glass carboy into the side of the tub while pouring what out, and ending up with a pile of glass shards.
I use them for both beers and meads, and will eventually use them for wines. I was a little worried originally about aging something for a long time in plastic, but after 4 months, I notice no off flavors.
The only problem is that you cannot use a carboy brush to clean them as it can scratch the plastic. This put me in a bad position when I ended up with some dried on hop residue that wouldn't come off with just water. I eventually got it off by fashioning my own carboy brush out of an old t-shirt (so it left no scratches), but not before I had attempted to loosen the residue with some very hot (just off boiling) water.
That was a bad idea, and now I have a 6 gallon BB with a sunken in side, although it still works fine.
plastic-carboy-744.jpg

I gotta agree with you on this one...as far as I can tell there is simply no downside to the Better Bottle except maybe for price, and it's well worth it.
Mine are ported, and once you get the assembly put together (which can be a PITA) it's great.
Price Payed: $0.00
Recommended? Yes

great product. If my glass and better bottle are clean, I use the better bottle. All the +ves have been pointed out. The only -ve i can see, is the scratch issue. Though it hasn't happened yet, It is more likely than with glass.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: unbreakable, impermeable to O2,
Cons: scratchable

I bought two ported Better-Bottles (a 5 & a 6 gallon) with the spigot & other accessories. IIRC, the whole kit and kaboodle cost me $135. Well worth every penny. They are a brewer's dream come true. Racking is a breeze, no more siphoning, no more spilled beer. The necks are wider than a glass carboy's, makes it easier to fill with whole leaf for dryhopping. I gave my glass carboys away without hesitation. I highly recommend!
Price Payed: $135.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: lightweight, unbreakable, easy racking, wide neck for dryhopping whole leaf, easily cleaned
Cons: None

I have 1 6 gallon, 3 5 gallon, 2 3 gallon Better Bottles and have been using them for months. They are far superior to glass. Some have mentioned the possibility of scratching but I have never heard of anyone saying they have done so. I don't use a brush anyway. I put in two tbs clorox, fill and set them overnight. Pour all but a gallon or two and swish. Spotless everytime.
The price is really not much different unless you get the valve. You certaintly can't get a valve in a glass carboy. I just can't say enough about these bottles.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Lightweight, unbreakable, safer to use.
Cons: No down side.

I've used these for four brews now and I will never go back to glass. I have two of the six gallon with spigot. No more siphoning ever again!!!! Once you start the flow through the spigot pinch the tube about three inches down from the spigot until that space fills up and then let her rip, it's just as smooth as siphoning.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Simply wonderful, lightweight and easy to clean
Cons: none

After slicing up the hands and legs from shattering a Glass carboy while cleaning..I use these almost exclusively
Price Payed: $26.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light weight, won't break
Cons: Gay looking label

I've never had a glass carboy, I've heard way too many horror stories about them breaking, and knowing my luck it would probably happen to me. Mine are non ported, although carboy caps do fit them so siphoning isn't that hard at all.
Thoroughly recommended
smile.gif

Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light, negligible O2 permeability, no chance of severe lacerations.
Cons: None Discovered ^^

I'm new to homebrewing. After doing the research, I came to the conclusion that these were the way to go. I never really even considered glass. The siphoning necessary with a glass carboy seems to me to be a real PITA. I do the closed loop CO2 purged transfers. It is really easy to do. Cleaning as mentioned earlier is very easy with overnight soaks, no brushing necessary. Other than going to a stainless steel conical, I can't imagine using anything else.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light weight, unbreakable, easy racking, easy cleaning
Cons: Racking outlet seal tightening can be touchy

After my glass carboy 'accident' I switched to Better Bottles. They are much easier to handle and keep clean. I use them for my secondaries.
Price Payed: $20.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light weight, easy to clean. visibility.
Cons: None

I currently have one Better-Bottle PET carboy and I think it's great. When it comes time to buy another carboy, It will definitely be another one of these. I highly recommend them to new and seasoned brewers alike.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Very light and durable. Very easy to clean. Stores easily. Can be ported.
Cons: More expensive than glass.

Cost of the racking arm and spigot is nuts but worth it to me.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light easy to clean Love the ported ones

I highly recommend them and are in the process of converting over from glass. They are safe, light and easy to handle and clean. The best purchase I have made in some time for home brewing.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light, durable, easy to clean, safe.
Cons: Can compress when squeezed.

I have a 6 gallon better bottle and I love it. Nice and light and gives me the same results as glass just without the danger of severing an artery.
Price Payed: $10.00
Recommended? Yes

Have two of these.. light and easy to use.. couldnt be happier with them.. No more broken or cracked carboys!
Price Payed: $23.00
Recommended? Yes

I actually got this by mistake when I needed another secondary and I like the lightweight use.
Price Payed: $22.00
Recommended? Yes

Light, great for aging.
Cleaning is as simple as using oxiclean, and possibly a wash cloth in the oxiclean. Give it a good shake and almost anything will come out. You cannot use a brush though.
Price Payed: $21.00
Recommended? Yes

I have 2 ported 5 gallons and 1 ported 6 gallon. Racking outlets work well, no siphoning for me! No complaints yet! Best price I found was on homebrewit.com
Price Payed: $45.00
Recommended? Yes

I have a bottling bucket from Better Bottle. Light as can be and easy to store high on my garage shelf.
Price Payed: $25.00
Recommended? Yes

I finally got my first BB a few months ago and its way more enjoyable to work with then my old glass carboys!
Recommended? Yes

I only actually have the 6 gallon version without the port. So far so good. There is a significant weight reduction over glass.
Price Payed: $24.00
Recommended? Yes

Excellent light weight bottle, unbreakable! Excellent secondary, easy to clean and sanitize.
Recommended? Yes

Light, cleans easy.. I love it. This is non-ported and I think I would prefer a ported solution, but who knows. It's great all around.
Recommended? Yes

Top notch product. Very light and durable. Didnt get a 10 b/c the orange carboy caps don't fit perfectly.
Recommended? Yes

I love my BB, except when it caved in on one side when i was shaking it on the floor
Recommended? Yes

This was for me a step up from the ale pale. It was a kick to see the fermentation in action. The stopper is a heck of a lot easier to take out then the ale pale lid
Recommended? Yes

Basic 5 gallon plastic bottle. Wondering why I didn't jack a water bottle from work.
Recommended? Yes

Its a fermentor. It ferments. If you drop it full of beer, you spill a little beer in the time it takes you to grab it and sit it back up, rather than shatter, spill everything, and nick a few arteries.
Recommended? Yes

6 Gallon BB, easy to clean and sturdy. Best fermentor I own! Have brewed 2 batches in it as a secondary and very happy with the results.
Price Payed: $22.00
Recommended? Yes

More kudos for Better Bottles. I have a 5 gallon standard and 6 gallon ported. I think the wall could be a tad thicker for the 6 gallon, but the plastic is super tough and thick where it really counts. The PET just doesn't absorb odors and flavors and it cleans easily. The racking adapter and valve beat siphoning anytime.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: odor and taste free, lightweight, good quality and great product tech info
Cons: may possibly crack at bottom if mishandled while full

I've only used it once, so I don't have a lot of history. After bottling, it was very easy to clean. Also, it didn't break when I was handling it, so I still have the tendons in my hands.
Price Payed: $33.00
Recommended? Yes

Very nice and you don't have to worry about crashing a glass carboy. About to pull a lager out of the fridge and then I will let you know how cleaning goes.
Recommended? Yes

I love my Better Bottles, I have 2 of them and 2 glass carboys and always go for these first. The only thing I have issues with is scraping stuck on krausen sometimes. I have gone ahead and used the carboy brush, which is not recommended. Someone has suggested putting a sock over it for protection which I might try next time.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Light weight, unbreakable, good price
Cons: Can scratch during cleaning if not careful, some suck back possibilities

The Better Bottle is amazing. It's a extremly durable, unbreakable light PET plastic (That's the good kind) and Have never had a problem with it to date.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Almost UNBREAKABLE!!! Easy to clean. Low amount of scratches from brushing. Very light.
Cons: none

Picked up a
1. ported 6 gallon ported BB
2. racking adapter
3. simple flo valve
4. installation tube (def. made it easier to install)
5. universal closure
6. dry lock
7. right angle hose barb
8. blue handle
(you can see how it got to 120ish :p)
It is light, has a lot of hardware and racking is easier. I really like that you attach a bottling wand directly to simple flo valve.
If you are not using co2 to rack (ala gravity fed) it can get slow towards the bottom of the bottle.
Definitely look at the tips an tricks on their site (http://www.better-bottle.com)
Price Payed: $120.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Easier and Oxygen free racking, well made, nice hardware options
Cons: Price and it flexes rather easily

Great place to start for beginner home brewers. Use the 5 gallon for secondary when required.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Less expensive than glass.
Cons: Scratches easily if scrubbed.

My 5gal. BB came as part of the "Norther Brewer - Deluxe Starter Kit". It's every bit as functional as a 5gal. glass Carboy, it just takes a gentler touch when cleaning to prolong its life. Great purchase for any beginner - intermediate brewer looking to do secondary fermentation(even some advanced/veteran brewers still prefer them).
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Durable, lightweight, adequate headspace, easy to clean, not as fragile as glass. Being an industry standard means finding 3rd party accessories is very easy!
Cons: Light Permeable, can be scratched if not careful, No handle.

I don't want to go to the hospital because of a broken carboy so I use better bottles. I have never had a problem with them and would highly recommend them.
Price Payed: $35.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: See through, durable
Cons: won't shatter

Back