Beta Glucan Rest Challenges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabraben

Reaction score
I have some locally grown pale ale malt with high levels of beta glucans. A beta glucan rest is necessary to prevent a stuck sparge and to improve efficiency but I've got a quandary I was hoping you all could help me with. I've brewed a hazy with it and it's a lovely hazy beer but it occurred to me that doing a beta glucan rest for the pale ale malt when I also have other grains that are intentionally included for their protein additions - ie oats and wheat - is breaking down the proteins in those grains as well, reducing their intended contribution. If those other grains could convert themselves I'd mash them separately, though it would be a hassle. If my first rest is for 20 minutes then I step up to my sacc rest for 60 minutes, I guess there'd be no harm in adding the other grains when I'm about to step up. One challenge I can see is that I'd need to figure out how to calculate the first step infusion at one grain/water ratio then the second step infusion at another grain/water ratio. I'm doubtful that's something I can do in Beersmith. Ideas? How does this sound?

I didn't even know that existed, but of course it does. At any rate, I'd still have the issue that I have some grains in which I do want to break down the beta glucans and other grains in which I do not want to break them down.

I didn't even know that existed, but of course it does. At any rate, I'd still have the issue that I have some grains in which I do want to break down the beta glucans and other grains in which I do not want to break them down.
If you are mashing hot and fast I wouldn't sweat it. If you were mashing for attenuation it would be an issue. It is a tool that can be adjusted in the amount used for the mash schedule required. You can always dough in the rest of the grist when you like and take good notes to hit temperature rests perfectly the next go round. Anyway, just figured I would mention it.

I appreciate that. I'm now thinking I'll hold the other grains till the second step. Now that I have a Brewzilla I can anticipate stepping up without difficulty even with added water and grains.

Back