Best way to sanitize hydrometer and tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackjama

Reaction score
Ok I am at the point where I will be checking my gravity in my fermenter every couple of days.

1. What is the best way to sanitize the hydrometer and tube between readings? Can I spray the tube inside and out with starsan and then rinse it after I take a reading?

That's what I do. I have a spray bottle and a half gallon milk jug with star san solutions. No issues yet.

You don't need to sanitize the hydrometer or the sample test jar, you don't put the sample back in, you drink it. You only need to sanitize what you use to remove the sample from the fermenter, ie, the turkey baster or the wine thief.

You shouldn't need to sanitize either of them. Get a wine thief and sanitize that. Pull a sample using the thief and put it into your graduated cylinder. The beer in the graduated cylinder should NEVER be put back into the carboy so there's no reason for them to be sanitized. Taste the young beer and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I don't sanitize the hydrometer and hydro tube because the gravity sample immediately becomes a taste sample.

You should only need to sanitize your wine thief or whatever you're using to draw the sample. I use starsan (others use other means) because I find it best for me.

Taste each sample to see how the beer progresses with time.

Happy Brewing!

That's what I do. I have a spray bottle and a half gallon milk jug with star san solutions. No issues yet.

For some reason I took "tube" meaning wine thief.... Yeah I don't sanitize my test jar or hydro, just rinse them off/out afterwards

Skagdog said:
wowsers, i type slow. Two people got to it before I could hit send! I hate when that happens.

You could just be like the other thousands of people on this forum that post what others have said regardless. I find it funny when people are saying the same exact thing others have said 2 or 3 pages into the thread.

You could just be like the other thousands of people on this forum that post what others have said regardless. I find it funny when people are saying the same exact thing others have said 2 or 3 pages into the thread.

I could just be like the other thousands of people on this forum that post what others have said regardless. I find it funny when people are saying the exact thing others have said 2 or 3 pages into the thread.

:mug::)

Skagdog said:
I could just be like the other thousands of people on this forum that post what others have said regardless. I find it funny when people are saying the exact thing others have said 2 or 3 pages into the thread.

:mug::)

Winner winner lol! Cheers!

The beer in the graduated cylinder should NEVER be put back into the carboy so there's no reason for them to be sanitized.

Can someone explain this to me? I've read this elsewhere also, but if the hydrometer and cylinder HAVE been sanitized - what's the harm in putting it back? I've always put it back... am I missing something - or do most people not sanitize this stuff and that's why they say it.

Can someone explain this to me? I've read this elsewhere also, but if the hydrometer and cylinder HAVE been sanitized - what's the harm in putting it back? I've always put it back... am I missing something - or do most people not sanitize this stuff and that's why they say it.

There's no reason to risk the whole batch in order to save a small amount.

I spray some sanitizing solution on the top of my tube incase my thief touches and I need to go back in for more.

Just erring on the side of caution. Also it's a good indicator of how things are progressing. It's not worth introducing bad things back into 5 gals+ wort to save 3oz. But proceed however you see fit. Cheers.

While it's in the fermenter it's safe from exposure. When you expose the beer to the ambient air, then a tube, then a hydrometer, then more air, you're just opening up to more risk.

Open once to draw a sample then you'd have to open it again to pour the sample back in. Maybe there's a draft and you get a funky dog hair in there. Maybe the air is especially moist that day and could be carrying pollen or mold spores. it's just less exposure.

Lastly, I'm not sure if the small amount pouring back in there causes any unneeded disturbances. Maybe, I dunno, I do know I like sampling the beer in stages for a frame of reference.

It sounds like maybe I am missing a step. I put my hydrometer in the wine their after sanitizing both by spraying with star San. I also spayed around my stopper, pulled a sample read it in the wine thief and dumped it back in.

I don't have a separate cylinder for my hydrometer. Do you see a problem with this.

^^^Yes when you break your hydrometer in your vessel your whole batch is ruined.

Edit::: Nevermind I saw where you said you put it in your wine theif. Your just still chancing on ruining your batch if the sanitation isnt proper. Why are you taking so many readings, I take 3: my OG, 1 to 2 weeks then 2 days after that.

I take my readings by placing my hydrometer directly in the thief as well. (iirc, the thief's instructions say to do it this way).

but then, I just dump the thief's contents into a glass and drink it. My hydrometer has never been sanitized, but the thief gets the spray bottle treatment before drawing a sample.

It sounds like maybe I am missing a step. I put my hydrometer in the wine their after sanitizing both by spraying with star San. I also spayed around my stopper, pulled a sample read it in the wine thief and dumped it back in.

I don't have a separate cylinder for my hydrometer. Do you see a problem with this.

Your doing it right. Most people don't know how to use a thief.

I have always taken a satellite sample. Then I don't have to worry about sanitizing anything after the first sample. You basically sanitize a wine thief or whatever you use (I use a cup with a bucket fermenter). My first sample is always after pitching the yeast and I use this for my SG. Then instead of drinking or dumping it, put it in a empty beer bottle and keep it next to your fermenter. Use it to take readings whenever you want and just return the sample. It will ferment the same pace and to the same FG. This way you never have to sanitize anything after your brewday until you bottle/keg.

Sure you don't get samples but after a while of brewing you don't really care much. Plus I always sneak a sample at kegging time anyways. I actually have sampled this satellite sample and actually never had a strong enough infection where it was horrible. Sometimes I could tell it was off but never undrinkable.

Also I used to use alcohol to sanitize some of my equipment because I would spray it and it was cheap (from Walmart) but found that the hydrometer tube didn't like the alcohol and it broke right at the base right after I sprayed it. My LHBS told me that Alpet surface sanitizer sometimes did the same thing and gave me a new one on the house.

I ferment in a bucket so when it's time to take gravity I sanitize my hydrometer then insert hydrometer in bucket. I do miss drinking the sample. :(

Bithead said:
I ferment in a bucket so when it's time to take gravity I sanitize my hydrometer then insert hydrometer in bucket. I do miss drinking the sample. :(

That's the fun of home brewing. We all do different things for different reasons but come to similar conclusions.

Seldom do I really enjoy drinking flat, unfinished beer but I do it because I like to experience it as it develops. Do what you do, do what works, and only change if you find a way that's easier for your set up.

Happy Brewing!

This is my second hydrometer. On the first one I was told just to use the tube it came in for the liquid. As I was walking across the kitchen, the cap at the bottom of the tube was just in by friction. It fell out and the hydrometer Fell out with it and smashed all over the floor.

I got a wine thief with the new one and I keep it in there to protect it.

Jackjama said:
Ok I am at the point where I will be checking my gravity in my fermenter every couple of days.

1. What is the best way to sanitize the hydrometer and tube between readings? Can I spray the tube inside and out with starsan and then rinse it after I take a reading?

Just curious as not commented on, why do you feel like you need to take a reading every couple days? I take my OG, wait at least a week to 10 days when krausen drops and then check for FG, wait a day and verify with 1 more reading. I then give the beer an additional week to clear and then package.

Actually I don't think I will be taking a gravity for another week. This is my fist brew. It is a chimay red clone. It has been fermenting for three weeks. I took a gravity today and it was 1.018. The two days in my comments came from my instructions which said It is ready to bottle when the gravity reading does not change over a two day period.

Jackjama said:
Actually I don't think I will be taking a gravity for another week. This is my fist brew. It is a chimay red clone. It has been fermenting for three weeks. I took a gravity today and it was 1.018. The two days in my comments came from my instructions which said It is ready to bottle when the gravity reading does not change over a two day period.

Got it, cool. The way it was phrased it read like you were planning on taking readings every couple days through fermentation.

I keep my starsan in a Homer Bucket.
I use a precision bottling hydrometer, made of glass.
Because its fragile I'm careful with it.
I let it sit in the starsan, submerged when I press it down.
Then I place it in the fermentation bucket.

I find this easier than drawing a sample with the wine thief.
I also don't see much chance of infection from the hydrometer.
If opening the lid can introduce an infection, then that's just as likely if the lid is opened for a wine thief sampling.

I keep my starsan in a Homer Bucket.
I use a precision bottling hydrometer, made of glass.
Because its fragile I'm careful with it.
I let it sit in the starsan, submerged when I press it down.
Then I place it in the fermentation bucket.

I find this easier than drawing a sample with the wine thief.
I also don't see much chance of infection from the hydrometer.
If opening the lid can introduce an infection, then that's just as likely if the lid is opened for a wine thief sampling.

I know this is this way probably because you used a smartphone, but it's very poetic...

:mug:

Back