Best way to clean these stains from my glass demijohns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellogoodbye

Reaction score
I've used the water and rice to cleans all the dirt and stuff (I bought them for quite cheap like £10 for 7 1 gallon glass ones) they must've been in the guys shed 'cause they were all dirty in side, with mud, cobwebs lol anyway, used the rice/water combo got rid of most but these brow stains are left, any ideas what I could use

IMG_0480.jpg

Pic didn't work for me, but I'd try a long soak in an oxygen based cleaner like oxyclean.

Have you tried hot water and PBW?
You can also use rock salt and rubbing alcohol.
Use a brush to scrub at it.

Make sure you rinse using warm water after cleaning to remove any PBW/Rubbing Alc/Etc.

Have you tried hot water and PBW?
You can also use rock salt and rubbing alcohol.
Use a brush to scrub at it.

Make sure you rinse using warm water after cleaning to remove any PBW/Rubbing Alc/Etc.

leaving them to soak overnight with bleach and water and buying a brush tomorrow

Go to poundland (or it might be poundstretcher or similar), buy the Wizz brand Oxi cleaner that has no perfume in it, and use that.

You'll need to rinse it a lot afterwards, but all that gunk should come off. I cleaned a few demijohns that had been in my garage for what must have been at least 20 years open to the elements with it and it worked good.

Go to poundland (or it might be poundstretcher or similar), buy the Wizz brand Oxi cleaner that has no perfume in it, and use that.

You'll need to rinse it a lot afterwards, but all that gunk should come off. I cleaned a few demijohns that had been in my garage for what must have been at least 20 years open to the elements with it and it worked good.

cheers mate, the spray stuff, and should I use a brush?

It's a white powder, normally used for washing your clothes

You can use a brush as well if it's really not shifting

Back