Best time to add flavor / aroma hop chart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
Hey guys, there was a chart kicking around here somewhere that showed the best time to add flavor hops was at 20 minutes, but I forget the peak aroma hop addition time. Can anyone point me back at the thread? I can't seem to find it.

If it's that graph with 3 different colored lines (I think red, green, blue) that cover bitterness, flavor, aroma then per that graph the peak aroma addition is at 7 minutes remaining.

That chart is junk. The bittering curve is so far off, it would have to improve to be wrong.

The way flavor/aroma adds work is very different from what is shown, because the oil extraction and boil off depends on the volatility of each oil. Making an add at 20 minutes means the lightest oils will be driven off in 20 minutes leaving little aroma. If the chart was valid for aroma, there would be no point in making aroma adds at flame-out or even 2 minutes.

I agree.. everyones boil is different and that affects how the oil dissolves in your beer / or boils out. The best thing to do is add additions every 5 minutes from 20 down ot flame out (they dont have to be huge if you dont want big hop flavor or bitterness)

But for most IPAs i do there additions go something like ( 60, 20, 15, 10, 5, sometimes flame out, Dry hop in secondary)

Hop utilization is based on boil volatility, gravity, time, hop form, hop variety, etc. Mostly it depends on gravity and time. The chart uses an arbitrary gravity and shows the utilization over time for bitterness.

I don't get why you don't think this plot works for aroma/flavor. If you put in the hops at flame out or 2 mins and then immediately took them out, you'd get the utilization for aroma it shows. the plot doesn't account for steep time

Some good insight here. I think I will follow Mirilis' schedule and try to get a good hoppy beer that way. I am doing a "session" IPA b/c better half would like to drink more than 1-2 beers without feeling drunk. So Im off with my first SOLE All Grain Adventure tomorrow on a hand-me-down three tier system with some hand-me-down grains/hops Wish me luck :)

Back