best mash tun out there for the home brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpez

Reaction score
Ok, first let me start this by saying I am not looking for the best value... just opinions on which you think is the best. I am looking for something in the 15gallon range.

I want to move from my 10 gallon round cooler to something all stainless. So far I am leaning toward those that are taller rather than wider. Not sure if that really matters though. I am just used to that because of my current round cooler mash tun.

Based on this it seems to limit me to the Stout, Sabco/keggle, or Blichmann.

Thanks!

The only real input I can give you hear is to not go to big. The more extraspace you have, the more heat you are going to loose. If you do taller vs short, then it is going to be a beating to stir your mash. I would go for a square cooler, if at all possible.

I saw one made out of a plastic water tank. Insulated with spray foam and wrapped with wood planks like a hot tub. It was a 100 gallon one but you could make a cool one that is much smaller. Had a wooden insulated top. It was used by a brew club.

Here is a 27 gallon one that would be plenty for 15 gallon batches.

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Livestock/Livestock-Feeding-Watering-and-Accessories/Livestock-Tanks-and-Accessories/Stock-Tank-27-Gal-Plastic-Blk-101414379

img_101414379.jpg

I'm in the same position as you - looking for a stainless mash tun in the ~20 gallon range. I'd like something insulated, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

I'm looking hard at these, from Stout Conicals. The price is pretty decent, especially for all the goodies they come with. I'd just have to figure out how to insulate them properly, as I really don't want to get involved in a RIMS or HERMS recirculation system.

-Joe

I'm in the same position as you - looking for a stainless mash tun in the ~20 gallon range. I'd like something insulated, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

I'm looking hard at these, from Stout Conicals. The price is pretty decent, especially for all the goodies they come with. I'd just have to figure out how to insulate them properly, as I really don't want to get involved in a RIMS or HERMS recirculation system.

-Joe

I hear you, those things look very nice. The big downside seems to to be the time it takes for delivery...

Back