best immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
should i go with SS or copper?

looking to spend around $130.
gonna use it for 5 gal. batches but want the best one i can get incase i go to 10 gal. down the road.

No probs. Just to let you know my experience. I was AALLL about the stainless coil and bought one and after many batches (15 gal) using my 3/8" 50' coil with 3-4 GPM 68* water, I am now convinced that the folks were right that said that a stainless coil is not as good as a copper one. Infuriatingly slow- even if I stir it the whole time, recirc it with a pump Jamil style, etc.

It takes me over an hour to chill that volume. I'm waiting for my plate chiller in the mail. My calcs tell me I'll get to pitching in 8 minutes (recirculating plate chill).

ya i saw that too. gonna probably get a 50' copper IC. doing 5 gallon batches soon and i figure with that, ice bath and the garden hose slack coiled in a tube of cie water (prechiller) i should be ok cooling 5 gallons of wort in under 30 mins.

Back