Best Equipment for new brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. I got real sick this summer - was in the hospital for many weeks and still recovering. Sitting on my ass thumbing through Facebook marketplace is now part of my routine ;).
I love to cook and I love beer - match made in heaven :). Though I’m noticing a lot of home brewers seem to brew super strong beers and stouts. I’m more of a normal ale type. I like everything from Luttle Kings and Mickeys Bigmouths to Newcastle and Bass to Gumballhead to Moosehead to magic Hat #9 to Lowenbrau (lol)

I like everything from Luttle Kings and Mickeys Bigmouths to Newcastle and Bass to Gumballhead to Moosehead to magic Hat #9 to Lowenbrau (lol)

1637023632509.jpeg

I remember when Strohs invented the 30 pack ! Lol. We was broke back in those days … HS !

I remember when Strohs invented the 30 pack ! Lol. We was broke back in those days … HS !

I've never looked, but there's probably clone recipes out there for Mickey's, Stroh's, etc. That's the beauty of homebrewing. Brew what you like to drink--it doesn't have to be fancy, or even "craft" beer.

Sitting home and recovering gives you plenty of time to plan and assemble some gear and plan recipes.

I’m noticing a lot of home brewers seem to brew super strong beers and stouts. I’m more of a normal ale type.
Absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying simpler brews! While I do love a good IPA, stout and Belgian beer, I like to keep at least one or two lighter brews on tap at all times to mix it up and to give my palate a break.

Make sure you have the friends to consume all your brews. Otherwise you won't be brewing often. And you'll be drinking that same beer for a long time.

I've found it easier to learn from my mistakes when I can just brew up another 1 gallon batch on a whim and even the day after the previous. I don't mind that I only get less than two six packs as when I go to purchase beer, I never like to get the same beer as the previous purchase.

I've got multiple 1 gallon batches of different beers brewing at most any time of the month and every batch let me try something out to see if it worked for me. Nor is grain handling an issue since the weight is only about 2.3 pounds dry. And I can mash and boil in the kitchen, with normal kitchen pots and tools.

Though I'm thinking of stepping up to 2 maybe 3 gallon batches, and if they made starter kits that size for all grain, those probably would have been my choice from the get go.

But if you want to go all in, that's okay. Just remember you can drop back an punt if you need to.

Back