Best eBIAB Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoInBrew

Reaction score
Extract brewer. Wanting to switch to BIAB with eBIAB setup. I have seen several nice electric setups, but the question I have is: Is there a 'best' kettle config?

For the basics, I want ports in the lower part of the kettle for an electric element, drain port, and temp probe. The top of the kettle is where I am not sure. Is a recirc/whirlpool port needed in the upper side? Is a port with hose connection in the lid the typical setup for recirc sparging?

I attached a kettle drawing that Spike quoted me on. Just not sure I need the TC port in the upper side. If it will come in handy, so be it. If rarely/never used, I will remove it. Just not experienced enough in the process yet to know.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Attachments

• eBIAB Kettle_V1.jpg
    eBIAB Kettle_V1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 558
The best eBIAB kettle boils down to preference and how much you're willing to pay for it. Some guys like stainless with one or two element bungs welded to the kettle. Some, like me, get along just fine with an aluminium pot and a couple 120v elements. I never went with a temp probe in fear it would constantly catch on the bag. No sight glass either - just never got around to it and now I figure I don't need it.

If I had to do it all over again I think I would still go simple. It just works for me. Besides, you can always add stuff later. Not so easy to plug holes.

I have a Spike 20 gallon kettle like the drawing without the top TC. I upgraded from a keggle since I wanted to be able to do 10 gallon batches. I love the kettle. Cleaning is a breeze compared the the keggle since I can remove the element for cleaning. The 5500 watt element has no problem doing the job.

That looks like mine... except I have a 10 gal ( only planning on doing 5 gal batches). It’s not complete yet (brewing with gas, but have it set up for EBIAB), but the few times that I have brewed I have loved it. It hold temp fairly well, still need to throw some heat on mid way for a short period. Clean up is not bad at all...

Attachments

• 58656F42-6F42-4F47-B36E-A62E29B24188.jpeg
    58656F42-6F42-4F47-B36E-A62E29B24188.jpeg
    948.9 KB · Views: 551
How are you guys handling the sparge? Just pump on top of the bag with the lid off?

I don’t do a Sparge.... after re looking at what Spike sent you, I’m not sure why they are putting in so many 1 1/2 inch TC in. When I contacted SB I inquird about a EBIAB setup, they sent me the drawing and it was set up like this... on the front it has 2 full 1/2 inch NPT ( from what spike told me, one is for a drain, and one is for whirlpool) 1 full 1/2 inch NPT on top ( recirculating) on the back I have on the bottom I have the 1 1 1/2 in TC for heating element and right beside it a half 1/2 inch NPT ( for temp probe). I tried to find the schematic they sent me, but I guess I already deleted it.

I don’t do a Sparge.... after re looking at what Spike sent you, I’m not sure why they are putting in so many 1 1/2 inch TC in. When I contacted SB I inquird about a EBIAB setup, they sent me the drawing and it was set up like this... on the front it has 2 full 1/2 inch NPT ( from what spike told me, one is for a drain, and one is for whirlpool) 1 full 1/2 inch NPT on top ( recirculating) on the back I have on the bottom I have the 1 1 1/2 in TC for heating element and right beside it a half 1/2 inch NPT ( for temp probe). I tried to find the schematic they sent me, but I guess I already deleted it.

Well, I learned something from that. I thought the whirlpool was typically higher up. Your picture shows the whirlpool and recirc ports capped. Futureproof I guess?

So far I only am using the drain port. I have all my other ports capped off. But future plan is to be indoors brewing in my future basement. I figured I would buy once,and make it upgradable.

They sent me the same drawing. Looked perfect for recirculating eBIAB.

I have 1 1/2 tc at 9 o’clock, 1/2 pt at 6 o’clock for the drain/pump, 1/2 npt for whirlpool at 3 o’clock, and half 1/2 npt at 12 o’clock for temp probe. No recirculation input at the top. Wanted the basket to be as big as possible both in diameter and height to maximize grain/water contact.

Still trying to make the final decision on this kettle. Is there a good reason to have TC ports on the hot side other than the heating element? I like the port configuration that Nmnbrewer has above. The configuration that Spike quoted me also had another port 1.5" from the top. I assume for recirc, not sure. Any other ports I should be thinking about?

Grounded apparently has a BIAB eKettle coming out soon, with panel, basket, all TC and looks pretty awesome.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkbuFQllKbr/?taken-by=groundedbrewtech

Still trying to make the final decision on this kettle. Is there a good reason to have TC ports on the hot side other than the heating element? I like the port configuration that Nmnbrewer has above. The configuration that Spike quoted me also had another port 1.5" from the top. I assume for recirc, not sure. Any other ports I should be thinking about?

TC on the hot side is just great for cleaning. Threads work just as well they just require more diligence/ time to keep clean and replace thread tape.

Back