Best drinking songs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chug-a-Lug by Roger Miller

CHORUS
Chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug
Make you want to holler hi-de-ho
Burns your tummy, don'tcha know
Chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug

Grape wine in a Mason jar
Homemade and brought to school
By a friend of mine 'n' after class
Me and him and this other fool decide that we'll drink up what's left
Chug-a-lug, so we helped ourself
First time for everything
Mm, my ears still ring

CHORUS

4-H and FFA on a field trip to the farm
Me 'n' a friend sneak off behind
This big old barn where we uncovered a covered-up moonshine still
And we thought we'd drink our fill
And I swallered it with a smile
*Bllll-bbbb*, I run ten mile

CHORUS

Jukebox 'n' sawdust floor
Sumpin' like I ain't never seen
And I'm just going on fifteen
But with the help of my finaglin' uncle I get snuck in
For my first taste of sin.
I said "Lemme have a big old sip"
*Bllll-bbbb*, I done a double back flip

CHORUS

better yet.. alcohol makes her clothes fall off..:mug: (some country song... cant remember who its by)

not sure if this is true..but BLG says it is... do you think shes trying to tell me something????

"Tequila makes her clothes fall off" by Joe Nichols. Great song. Great drinking song actually...nice pick!

I don't have a song for listening to while drunk, but I have a song that's the best to sing when you're drunk...

Auld Lang Syne

No one really knows the lyrics and no one really cares when you have a room full of drunk people, perhaps on New Year's Eve. It's about as fun as singing Louie, Louie at a frat party.

:tank:

The little TX band, Skunkweed, has some great tunes to listen to drunk (Wasted, Titty Bar, etc). Hard rock from before 1985 is a personal favorite as well.

But...if I'm singing, the only drinking songs to sing are fighter pilot songs. Private message me, I'll send you some lyrics.

Steve Earle "I ain't ever satisfied" (sing along to the chorus)

then again the "ain't ever satisfied" collection by above

Gringo Honeymoon - Robert Earl Keen

Walkin' Cane - covered by REK

"hand me down.... my bottle of corn
hand me down.... my bottle of corn
hand me down.... my bottle of corn,
gonna get drunk just sure 's you're born
my sins, they have overtaken me...."

hell, then again, anything by REK too...

Down the River - Chris Knight
Punk Ass Boyfriend - ZZ Top (another good singalong)

I'm also partial to anything by the Allman Bros. or Lynyrd Skynyrd... but that's good all purpose music. :D

First let me say that all of the songs posted here are some quality drinkin' songs. Many of them clicked the "Hey, remember to buy that sometime in the future" switch in my noggin'.

There's a little known sub-culture in America and the UK that has some outstanding drinking songs IMHO: Air Force fighter pilots.

A little background: My first assignment in the AF was in a fighter squadron - much to my initial dismay, but it turned out to be the best experience of my career. I discovered first-hand that these guys are, in fact, every bit the overgrown frat-guy stereotype that everyone thinks they are. But on top of that, they work hard, play hard, and are definitely better at what they do than anyone on the planet. They also have a long tradition (since WWII anyway) of kicking ass and losing their own in combat and training, so when it's time to play hard, they often pay drunken tribute to that history and their fallen comrades with drinkin' songs.

Nothing compares to standing around the squadron bar on a Friday, smoking cigars, and singing a few songs, but if you ever come across any of them on a CD or downloaded from the net, you'll get the idea I think. A few of my personal favorites are:
- Dear Mom, Your Son is Dead (a Vietnam song)
- I Don't Want to Join the Air Force (this is a good old RAF song from WWII)
- Jeremiah Weed (Google the band "Dos Gringos" for this one and many others)
- Sammy Small (of course!)
- The Dead Whore Song (My absolute favorite - WARNING: these lyrics are particularly foul)

There are many more out there... Enjoy,
Focus

"How does every fighter pilot song start? Da-Da Da-Da-Da..."

AF pilots are a diferent breed :rockin: and need to be considered the cream of the crop when it comes to advising this topic...:mug:

Just to clarify one little point: I'm not a pilot myself, but I've had many an opportunity to work and rage with them. It's an amazing thing...

I can remember the Submarine cheer loudly and through quite a haze and in public. Oh how the europeans loved us when we did that one.:cross: :cross:

Did anyone bring up Rodney Carrington?

Just One Beer...from the album "Nut Sack" LMFAO

Roxanne is the best drunk karaoke song...EVER! People who couldn't sing sober absolutely kill this song. I've had to walk out of a bar laughing before because of this song.

fezzman said:
Roxanne is the best drunk karaoke song...EVER! People who couldn't sing sober absolutely kill this song. I've had to walk out of a bar laughing before because of this song.

That's a great one! Right up there wth Cheap Trick's Surrender - especially when you get to the "we're all alright" part...

One I like to hear or sing to myself when I'm drinking:

Bare Naked Ladies - Alcohol

Chairman Cheyco said:
As far as kids and music go, my 4yo daughter sings along to The Who - Live at Leeds.

For drinking songs: Man I can't believe nobody has mentioned the ultimate bush-party song (aka The Provicial Anthem of Saskatchewan):

Copperhead Road!

"Him'n my uncle tore that engine down..."

I thought this an odd choice since it is relatively obscure in the states and I'm not sure how much airplay he gets anywhere else. Steve Earle seems to do things that make him less accessable, namely:
  • American Taliban
  • Going bluegrass (with Del McCoury)
  • Being a general badass
  • Telling the Country Music Industrial Complex to FO.
That said I have Exit 0, The Hard Way, Copperhead Road, The Mountain and maybe one other.

Funny, when I was in Calgary driving to Banff on Sunday I head Copperhead road.

If you really want to drink, remove all sharp objects and weapons and listen to Billy Austin a few dozen times.

ETA: Shut Up and Die Like an Aviator

fezzman said:

I had a buddy that got drunk and karaoked Like a Virgin by Madonna. People were falling down laughing.

I got in on the back end of this thread, but I thought I should throw my picks into the pot.

1) Social Distortion (Ball and Chain, etc. etc.)
2) Mike Ness (solo stuff after Social Distortion)
3) Mighty Mighty Bosstones (Royal Oil, Toxic Toast, Knock on Wood)

I have gone through and gotten a LOT of the before recommended songs. Dropkick Murphys kick ass!!!!!!!:rockin:

Inspired me to make a drinking songs playlist!:tank:

Pale Ale Dale said:
Too Drunk to **** by The Dead Kennedys an absolute classic..

Went to a party
I danced all night
I drank 16 beers
And I started up a fight
But now I'm jaded
You're out of luck
I'm rolling down the stairs
Too drunk to ****
Too drunk to ****
Too drunk to ****
Too drunk
To ****
I'm too drunk, too drunk, too drunk
To ****

I like your stories
I like your gun
Shooting out cop tires
Sounds like loads and loads of fun
But in my room
Wish you were dead
You ball like the baby
In Eraserhead

Too drunk to ****
Too drunk to ****
Too drunk
To ****
It's all I need right now
Too drunk to ****
Too drunk to ****
Too drunk to ****
Too drunk
To ****
I'm sick soft gooey and cold
Too drunk to ****

I'm about to drop
My head's a mess
The only salvation is I'll never see you again
You give me head
It makes it worse
Take out your ****in' retainer
Put it in your purse

Too drunk to ****
You're too drunk to ****
Too drunk To ****
It's all I need right now
Oh baby I'm melting like an ice cream bar
Oh baby
And now I got diarrhea
Too drunk to **** Yeah, Yeah Yeah, Yeah Yeah,
Yeah Oooohhh...

olllllo said:
Wild Rover (No Nay Never)

I've been a wild rover for many a year
And I spent all my money on whiskey and beer,
And now I'm returning with gold in great store
And I never will play the wild rover no more.

cho: And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

I went to an ale-house I used to frequent
And I told the landlady my money was spent.
I asked her for credit, she answered me "nay
Such a custom as yours I could have any day."

cho:

I took from my pocket ten sovereigns bright
And the landlady's eyes opened wide with delight.
She said "I have whiskey and wines of the best
And the words that I spoke sure were only in jest."

cho:

I'll go home to my parents, confess what I've done
And I'll ask them to pardon their prodigal son.
And if they caress (forgive) me as ofttimes before
Sure I never will play the wild rover no more.

cho:

ETA: This uh... proves my point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grzZgqwhkQE

You beat me too this one!!:D

I also like:
"In Muenchen steht ein Hofbraeuhaus,
Oans Zwoa, G'suffa. . .
Da laeuft so manches Faeschen aus,
Oans, Zwoa, G'suffa
Da laueuft so manches braver Mann,
Oans, Zwoa, G'suffa,
g'zeigt was er vertragen kann,
schon frueh am Morgan fing er an,
und spaet am Abend kam er heraus,
so steht's im Hofbrauehaus. . . "

Wild Rover was already covered with pride...

Bog down in the valley
All for me Grog
Whiskey in the Jar (this was hit too I think)
Wild Colonial Boy
four green fields (not exactly cheery, but always requested from my family)
The End (not in the genre I have been following, but one of my favs)

The Pogues! and sometimes the popes (with shane macgowan)

basicly just Shane MacGowan (LEGEND)

i like to sing along drunk with my dad !! :p

If anyone hasnt heard the pogues, ur missin out. listen to them... do it now!

A few months ago, while the idea of "blogging" was still interesting to me (no offense to any proponents, but i ended up finding it kind of creepy in the end) i ran off a rant about my favorite 'drinking alone' music. here's a re-post, as it seems to apply to this thread!
--------------------------------
If I'm Drinking Alone, I'm Listening To.....

ANYTHING by George Thorogood I mean, cmon. The guy has MULTIPLE songs about drinking alone, including the obvious I Drink Alone, which contains the appropriate lyrical content such as You know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself, and Now, the other night I lay sleeping, and I woke from am terrible dream. So I called up my pal Jack Daniels, and his partner Jim Beam. So George and the Destroyers get a great big honorable mention. If you are just getting your feet wet in Drinking Alone, George Thorogood is a great beginners intro! Bottoms up!

Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen - 1978 For me, a lot of early Bruce can be Drinking Alone music. Even the youthful, jangling Greetings From Asbury Park from 1973. That album, his first, kind of introduces all of these young, reckless characters that, by the time Bruce records Darkness on the Edge of Town in 1978 are dispersed, troubled, and failing to make it as adults in the real world. If that progression holds true, these same characters by 1982s Nebraska are all fugitives, murderers, gamblers, and downtrodden drifters. Isolation and desperation drip off this record like sweat off your forehead on a slow, muggy summers day.

Well our luck may have died, and our love may be cold,
But with you forever Ill stay
Were goin out where the sands turn into gold
Put on your stockings, baby, the nights getting cold
Well, everything dies, baby thats a fact
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back
Put you makeup on, fix you hair up pretty
And meet me tonight in Atlantic City

This album can cover Angry, Frustrated Drinking Alone to Melancholy, Sad Drinking Alone. It is very versatile, and very thorough in its bleakness. Even the sound is eerie Springsteen recorded the entire album by himself on a tape four-track. When he brought these demo tapes to his million-dollar studio and listened to them with his band, they all decided the emotional desperation and isolation caught on these tapes would be unachievable as a group. This album is a testament to all of us people whove found themselves in over our heads at times in this life. This album is an essential item in any true I Drink Alone collection, even if you arent a big Springsteen fan.

Heartattack and Vine by Tom Waits 1980 This is the Mach Daddy of Drinking Alone. And beer isnt good enough. Dont even THINK of disrespecting Mr. Waits by sipping a weak mixed drink or a pink wine cooler with this on. Its bottom shelf whiskey here. Plastic bottle. Maybe on the rocks, but thats it. And you have to kill the bottle....no sipping. You will find yourself stumbling around slurring along with an obviously drunk Tom Waits echoing such classing lines as Dont you know there aint no devil, its only God when hed drunk. This is the kind of Drinking Alone music where you dont answer the phone, dont get the door, and dont even remotely feel like cheering up. Total burn out as opposed to fading away. While this album is only for the most experienced Drink Aloneer, it should be waiting in the wings of ever collection. Someday, someday. Just keep trying.

From a Basement on an Hill by Elliot Smith
2003/2004 Perhaps its that this album came out a year after Smith died. Perhaps its that he died by stabbing himself in the heart.....twice. Perhaps its that this event is seemingly foreshadowed in the lyrics (specifically in A Fond Farewell). Perhaps it was the Elliot had deteriorated to a paranoid, rambling heroin and crack addict and these influences crept into the very sound of his voice. This album is truly, truly sad. A guy with so much promise and talent, as displayed on the masterwork albums XO and Figure 8, just should not crash this hard. All associations with his personal lifes sadness aside, there is some serious sad songwriting here. And in classic Elliot Smith style the bad news is delivered in a beautiful, almost soothing way. This album is a great big contradiction of love and hate, isolation and interaction, fading beginnings and approaching endings. Even when Im not, this album makes me want to pull the shades, dim the lights and pull up a cooler. It is sad, almost pathetic. Like watching the self-destruction of an artist, all recorded on tape. If you want this feeling condensed into unbelievingly potent strength, listen to some of the bootleg shows recorded in the year leading up to his suicide (Belly Up Tavern in particular). He performs alone and he sounds absolutely horrible. He forgets lyrics, chords, and rambles on in a trembling, thin voice between song parts. It is too sad to listen to and too sad, in fact, for Drinking Alone.

Deliverance (1994) /Wiseblood (1996) by Corrosion of Conformity and Angel Dust (1992) by Faith No More These all share a spot under the Ass-Kicking type of Drinking Alone where there is no introspection, not regret, no sadness. Just anger, aggression and more anger. If youve never listened to Woodpecker From Mars and imagined your 75-foot-tall self smashing your way down Broadway, Your Town with lead ****kicker boots, fireball throwing hands and laser-beam eyesight you are WAY to normal for me. Get angry, get alone, get drunk, and blast any of these albums. Who needs a shrink? Thats therapy.

Honorable Mentions:

Bridge Over Troubled Water Simon & Garfunkel 1970 Sad/Calm/Introspective
Let It Be The Beatles 1970 Reminiscing
It This It? The Strokes 2001 The days the used to be/Reminiscing
ANYTHING by Creedence because Creedence is ALWAYS good. so that automatically places it in any situational music list.
ANYTHING by Zeppelin same as above

Fiery Sword said:
If youve never listened to Woodpecker From Mars and imagined your 75-foot-tall self smashing your way down Broadway, Your Town with lead ****kicker boots, fireball throwing hands and laser-beam eyesight you are WAY to normal for me.

good call...good call...

That really depends on the mood and who I'm drinking with. The first thing that jumps to mind is Judas Priest, but depending on the mood, stuff like Björk, Tool, NIN, Bo Kaspers Orkester (with Swedish friends, but damned good tunes and lyrics!), Jimmy Buffet, Morphine, U2, Tenacious D, Seamus Kennedy...

I tend to like either pretty depressing/heavy stuff or goofy, sappy stuff when I'm drinking. :drunk:

dancingbarefoot said:
That really depends on the mood and who I'm drinking with. The first thing that jumps to mind is Judas Priest, but depending on the mood, stuff like Björk, Tool, NIN, Bo Kaspers Orkester (with Swedish friends, but damned good tunes and lyrics!), Jimmy Buffet, Morphine, U2, Tenacious D, Seamus Kennedy...

I tend to like either pretty depressing/heavy stuff or goofy, sappy stuff when I'm drinking. :drunk:

Tool, Tenacious D, Buffett....PLEASE post a pic. We need a face to associate your posts with. I know what most of these other dorks look like--some fit the mold and the expectations. You are a mystery!

Some lyrics...a classic where I come from:

Oh, my name is Sammy Small, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, my name is Sammy Small, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, my name is Sammy Small
And I only have one ball,
But it's better than none at all,
So f*@&% 'em all.

Oh, they say I shot a man, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, they say I shot a man, f*@&% 'em all
They say I shot him in the head
With a f*@&%ing piece of lead,
Now that silly f*@&%er's dead,
So f*@&% 'em all.

Oh, they say I'm going to swing, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, they say I'm going to swing, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, they say I'm going to swing,
From a f*@&%ing piece of string,
What a silly f*@&%ing thing,
So f*@&% 'em all.

Oh, they say I greased the rope, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, they say I greased the rope, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, they say I greased the rope,
With a piece of f*@&%ing soap,
What a stupid f*@&%ing joke,
So f*@&% 'em all.

Oh, the parson he will come, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, the parson he will come, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, the parson he will come,
With his tales of kingdom come,
He can shove 'em up his bum,
So f*@&% 'em all.

Oh, the hangman wears a mask, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, the hangman wears a mask, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, the hangman wears a mask,
For his silly f*@&%ing task,
He can shove it up his a$$,
So f*@&% 'em all.

Oh, the sheriff'll be there too, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, the sheriff'll be there too, f*@&% 'em all
Oh, the sheriff'll be there too,
With his silly f*@&%ing crew,
They've got f*@&%-all else to do,
So f*@&% 'em all.

I saw Molly in the crowd, f*@&% 'em all
I saw Molly in the crowd, f*@&% 'em all
I saw Molly in the crowd, and I felt so f*@&%ing proud
That I shouted right out loud,
So f*@&% 'em all.

I think Auld Lang Syne, and Don Maclean's "American Pie" are the worst. Someone plays that in a bar after midnight, it's time to run for the door..:tank:

As far as one-off songs go - if The Weight (bt The Band) comes on at my local watering hole, it turns into group kareoke night. Similar with Under Pressure (Bowie/Mercury).

I'm partial to filling the internet-jukebox (god bless those things, if your local place don't have one, demand one!!!!) with Nick Drake's Pink Moon or repeating The Velvet Underground's Pale Blue Eyes. nothing like bringing everyone down with you!!!!

Dude said:
Tool, Tenacious D, Buffett....PLEASE post a pic. We need a face to associate your posts with. I know what most of these other dorks look like--some fit the mold and the expectations. You are a mystery!

A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma! ;)

Nah, I'm just your average nerdy spinster. You know, the one who's always got a good sense of a humor and lots of male friends but never dates? :eek:

Latest posts

Back