Best Buy Gift Card = Brewing Equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird77

Reaction score
Pretty random question, but I figured I could get some ideas here.

I have a $25 ($20?) gift card to Best Buy, and nothing to spend it on. I buy all my DVD's used, rarely ever purchase music, and have a great computer with all of the software I need right now.

So....I guess I need to spend it on something brewing related! As a college student, I have a very hard time spending any money on equipment (the cost of ingredients alone oftentimes prevents a brew day). Any ideas?

Gah! I HATE gift cards! But I have a hard time telling people that their gifts suck, so I happily accept them. It is just like money, but with extra costs and limitations on what you can do with it!

I don't know about your state, but some states require that companies allow gift cards to be exchanged for their cash value...

Maybe you can buy a digital thermometer, stopwatch or timer, or something else along those lines...

Buy something, keep the receipt, return it for cash, head to your LHBS?

I did that but not on purpose. The cashier would not give me cash for my return, instead she insisted on giving me another gift card. I even had the receipt from the gift card showing it was originally purchased with cash. I explained to the manager, what if I bought a gift card with cash and wanted to return the gift card? Manager finally gave me cash back.

Buy something, keep the receipt, return it for cash, head to your LHBS?

Most likely won't work-- the receipt will show that a GC was used to purchase the item.

I had a bloomingdales GC I sold on ebay. $122 value and sold for $107. You could also use something like plastic jungle. Usually you can get about 60-75% for your cards. Search 'sell gift card' and you can find a few sites. A couple give you a little bit extra if you take an Amazon GC.

Best bet may be finding a friend that is going to buy something from BB anyway... maybe sell it to them for a couple bucks cheaper?

I had a friend try to do the buy/return 'scam' for the exact reason (wanted cash, not something from best buy). Long story short he ended up with another giftcard. My brother did it a few years ago by driving to another Best Buy right away and returning it. I think they have wised up.

This gift card has just been sitting in my drawer since Christmas and I just want to get rid of it.

Convince yourself you will save it to buy someone else a gift for christmas next year. Call it even in order to rationalize spending $25 of your own money. Thats what I would do. Its all about rationalizing.

Back