Best bang for my buck? (so to speak)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruett

Reaction score
I recently got one of the Duda diesel plate chillers, and it works very, very well. Last Saturday, while cooling my wort with it, I happened to glance over at my old immersion chiller, sitting there looking forlorn, and wondered about the best way to still include him in the brewday.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Hook him up in-line with the garden hose water, and put him in a cooler of icewater, so as to pre-chill the water going into the plate chiller. Advantages- cooler water, lower potential temps. Disadvantages: reduces flow rate, requires more fittings.

2. Put him in the kettle, and recirculate the plate-chiller water through him (i.e. post-plate-chiller). Advantages: No fittings required, no extra cost, cooler wort into the plate chiller means closer to potential minimum temp. Disadvantages: may not cool wort much at all, final temp still limited by incoming water temp to the plate chiller.

Which one makes the most sense to you? Does it matter?

Are you not getting to pitching temps in 1 pass with your plate chiller? I've never had a problem with mine cooling to pitching temps with my cold well water. Either way, I subscribe to 1 philosophy K.I.S.S., the less you throw in to the mix, the less there is to go wrong.

Neither, and #1 only if you aren't getting down to temp on a first run with the plate chiller. I built a counterflow chiller this weekend that works too good. One pass had me down to 56 degrees.

If I regulate the flow out of the kettle right, I get right where I want to be. I was more thinking in terms of speeding that up, and/or giving myself more options for brewing in August, when the water temp. out of the hose is lukewarm at best.

This time of year, it's not a problem.

Back