Bentonite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishobie

Reaction score
Hi, I am fairly new to winemaking. I have just started secondary fermentation on a broad bean and raisin wine. I forgot to add Bentonite to aid clearing before primary fermentation, can I add it after I stabilise it?
Thanks in advance Chris.

I am not familiar with adding bentonite prior to primary fermentation. I would normally add after primary is complete as an aid to help clear the wine.

Thanks, but I've read that you add Bentonite before you pitch the yeast? I'm a bit confused now

I have heard of pitching bentonite prior to yeast in ciders and sparkling wine. If the brew will sit in secondary for 4 months clarifier could be added then.

You can add bentonite before or after fermentation or both.

The purpose of adding to the primary is that the fermentation process itself constantly stirs it up when you punch down the cap as well as with the constant production of CO2. Allowing the bentonite to stay suspended ensures more of the dead yeast cells that it attracts can come in contact with it.

There is very little agitation at the end so it will tend to sink to the bottom doing possibly little good if left there to sit and you need a lot cleared. Their charge isn't strong enough to pull cells from across the full batch.

That's not to say it isn't beneficial at the end. The first run may not capture everything so polishing at the end can be useful. If the first addition did a good job, you may be fine with adding and simply letting settle to the bottom.

If it doesn't appear to be clearing enough in a few days, you may want to give it a little stir a couple times depending on how much clarification is needed. If you ensure there is little headspace and you add KMeta with the final bentonite, you should be OK with regard to introducing oxygen.

Back