Witbier Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixbillionethans

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3463
Yeast Starter
800 ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days @ 72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68
Tasting Notes
Quite good. Cereal mash was a good idea. Sour mash was good too.
MASHED GRAINS
4# Belgian pils
2# US 6-row
3.5# flaked wheat
1.5# rolled oats

HOPS
1oz Saaz (2.9%aa) @ 60 mins
0.5oz Styrian Goldings (2.9%aa0 @ 60 mins
0.5oz Saaz @ 20 mins
0.5oz Styrian Goldings @ 5 mins
0.5oz Saaz @ 5 mins

OTHER ADDITIONS
1oz bitter orange peel @ 5 mins
0.5oz Coriander @ 5 mins

MASHING NOTES
Mash schedule is out of Radical Brewing…
6-row, Wheat and Oats: 1) 2.19 gals @ 130F to hit 122F for 15 minutes, 2) Raise to 150F and hold for 15 minutes, 3) Raise to a boil for 15 minutes
Pils Malt: 1.25 gals @ 130F to hit 122F for 0-10 minutes
Add adjunct mash to Malt Mash: 1) Add Adjunct mash to Malt mash to increase to 155F for 45 minutes, 2) Mash-out at 170F
Sour mash: 1) Reserve 8oz of 1st runnings, 2) Add 1.5 Tbsp of crushed grain (<120F) and let sit covered for 5-8 days at 70-95deg, 3) Boil 5 mins and add to fermenter
*Mash stuck a little, 1st sparge only hit 160 deg, so it was thick. Might consider rice hulls in future.
**Sour mash was, well, sour. Not as nasty as I might have suspected, but smelled like sour milk.

FERMENTATION NOTES
Kind of a sluggish fermentation. I thought the starter was a little slow too. Significant yeast cake though. Kept it right around 72F. Some sulphur smell during ferment.

BOTTLING NOTES
3/4 cup corn sugar. Condition for 2 weeks.

ADDITIONAL TASTING NOTES
This is my second Wit (first was P/M) and I've been happy with both. Color was pale with nice haze. Again, like my first, this could have been a little "sharper", perhaps hop it a little stronger. I like the slight acidity I got from the sour mash and might increase the amount next time. Had a party and could barely keep up pouring this stuff. Carbonation was a little low.

Back