Belgian Wit Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
I've got a belgian wit recipe that I'm gonna try to make this weekend I think. I don't know what to do with the orange peel and coriander though. It calls for 3 oz. of Orange peel and 2 oz. of coriander. I've got coriander seeds, is this what I need? Do I need to crack them? Also, do I grate the orange peel? If I grate it, should I stop before I start grating the bitter white part just before the fruit? Would the white part add bitterness to the beer like hops do? Is it a desired effect? Lastly, do I put the orange peel and coriander in the boil? Mash it? Steep it?

Thoughts?

Crush the coriander seeds.

Use only the zest, none of the white part, unless you purchased the dried stuff.

Add at about 15 mins left in the boil. Some recipes will say longer.

Get a couple more opinions on this before brewing though to see what anyone else recommends. ;)

JeepGuy said:
I've got a belgian wit recipe that I'm gonna try to make this weekend I think. I don't know what to do with the orange peel and coriander though. It calls for 3 oz. of Orange peel and 2 oz. of coriander. I've got coriander seeds, is this what I need? Do I need to crack them? Also, do I grate the orange peel? If I grate it, should I stop before I start grating the bitter white part just before the fruit? Would the white part add bitterness to the beer like hops do? Is it a desired effect? Lastly, do I put the orange peel and coriander in the boil? Mash it? Steep it?

Thoughts?
Coriander and orange peel go into the boil with 10-15 minutes remaining.

2 Oz of coriander seems like a lot. My recipe (see sig below) calls for 3/4 Oz for a five gallon batch. Coriander always gets crushed. Use a rolling pin.

I would grate right up to the whit pith of the orange peel. If you get some that's okay. Belgian Wit calls for "Orange Bitter" which includes some of the white.

3 Oz of fresh orange seems reasonable. Again, the 2 Oz of coriander may be a bit rich.

HTH.

JeepGuy said:
Thanks for the help guys. I'll double check the 2 oz. figure BierMuncher.
Remember that you can taste the brew at the time you rack to a secondary. If it seems weak in the "spice" area, boil up a little extra coriander and peel in a cup of water, cool and add to your secondary.

On my wit recipe i just did I only used 1/4 oz. on both. I just used a wine bottle to crush the seeds, seemed to work out well.

Back