Belgian Triple Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitnes10

Reaction score
This is supposed to be similar to Victory Golden Monkey (here's the website) - http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/golden-monkey/

Here's the possible Clone as an Extract brew:

6.6 lb unhopped LME
4.0 lb light DME
1.0 lb DeWolf Cosyns Pilsner malt
1.0 lb DeWolf Cosyns Carapils malt
1.0 lb flaked barley
1.0 lb brown sugar
1.0 oz Tettnanger (60 min)
0.5 oz Tettnanger (30 min)
0.5 oz Saaz (15 min)
2 tsp. gypsum, Irish moss
1.0 T. bitter orange peel
0.5 T. crushed coriander
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

OG: 1.094
FG: 1.0

I'm not familiar with the use of Brown sugar or Flaked barley, would they both just going into the steep with the grains? Also I don't know what 1.0 T. of Coriander would be, possibly table spoon or teaspoon? And I'd assume that they'd be added during the secondary fermentation stage.

Any help in those areas would be great. I'd love to try making this, as Victory Golden Monkey was an awesome brew when I had it in Cayman Islands at my Brother in laws Craft brew pub.

I noticed the bitterness rating on this beer when I put it all into the BeerSmith app (5gal batch), comes up as 8.2 which seems very low. Any thoughts?

THANKS!

Usually T is Tablespoon while t is teaspoon.

Your sugar goes in at anytime in the boil.
Flaked barley goes in the partial mash with the other crushed grains.

Your spices are generally added at flameout or around just above 180 while you are chilling.

There are other methods of doing the spices but for simplicity sake you can do it at flameout.

Also a tripel should be 20-40 ibu the hops you have are probably all in the 5% aa or lower range and won't get you there in the quantity you have is my guess. Although I haven't checked it. I generally use a neutral bittering hop like magnum on bigger Belgian beers and save the saazer type hops for flavor / aroma additions. Saazer hops can get expensive used as bittering hops in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. All the hops at my local homebrew store are all priced the same ($2.79 per oz Canadian).

I may adjust the hops to bring the bitterness up, as like you said the Belgian triple should be in the 20-40 IBU range according the BeerSmith. I just haven't found online what the Victory Golden Monkey is. If I don't find it, i'll probably just adjust and bring it to 20-25 IBU's.

Again thanks for the help with timing and amounts. I've honestly never seen "T" as a unit, and "t" should be tons (I'm a math teacher haha).

Thanks!

So it's just plain old Brown Sugar? Do you think I should use light, medium, or dark?

This is supposed to be similar to Victory Golden Monkey (here's the website) - http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/golden-monkey/

Here's the possible Clone as an Extract brew:

6.6 lb unhopped LME
4.0 lb light DME
1.0 lb DeWolf Cosyns Pilsner malt
1.0 lb DeWolf Cosyns Carapils malt
1.0 lb flaked barley
1.0 lb brown sugar
1.0 oz Tettnanger (60 min)
0.5 oz Tettnanger (30 min)
0.5 oz Saaz (15 min)
2 tsp. gypsum, Irish moss
1.0 T. bitter orange peel
0.5 T. crushed coriander
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

OG: 1.094
FG: 1.0

It is a golden strong; use plain white table sugar, not brown. I'd even suggest using 2 lbs to help dry it out.

Flaked barley is ok, but not really sure why it is there.

All those grains need to be mashed, not steeped. Try a mini mash, it is easy. Mash at a low temp, about 148 - 150 F.

Back