belgian tripel with dry yeast vs liquid???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halapeenyo

Reaction score
OK so I am a new brewer looking to brew an 8% belgian triple extract kit from Midwest supplies... I got the dry yeast safbrew t58 vs the white lab Belgian ale yeast (when you buy from amazon you don't get a choice)

First question...has anybody brewed this beer using both liquid and dry yeast and noticed a significant difference???

Secondly... as long as I do everything right I figure I won't have any problems..does anybody have experience with this beer or kit who would be willing to offer advice or share there mistakes when brewing Belgian triples????

Any advice or sharing appreciated :)

I wouldn't think it would matter too much if it's a kit and the yeast was prepared especially for this kit.

I don't have any experience with the Tripel's yet, but my second attempt was a Belgian Dubbel and I used liquid because if you are trying to replicate the Trappist/Abbey styles then most of the flavors given off are only in liquid yeast. Maybe check this thread for answers or until someone more experience weighs in.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dry-yeast-vs-liquid-yeast-174215/

I brewed that same kit in August and it has been one of my best beers to date. I can't offer any insight on the yeast as I went with the white labs option. I can tell you that this beer is much better with age. It has been really interesting to see flavors come and go, I've maybe had one a week since September and each time it has been a little different.

I brewed in August, and hoped to save until December but my will power is suspect...

Also, be careful when you add the candy sugar as it goes straight to the bottom of your kettle making it really easy to burn if you're not stirring until dissolved.

Also, be careful when you add the candy sugar as it goes straight to the bottom of your kettle making it really easy to burn if you're not stirring until dissolved.

^
Yep. My experience as well with my Belgian. Just turn off the burner before you add it and keep stirring well while pouring. I don't know what your kit says, but it's usually a good idea to add it at the end of the boil when you kill the heat for good.

Back