beginner wants advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis22155

Reaction score
have made a few batches with the Mr. Beer my wife got me for Christmas, enjoyed it but is a little to quick and simple. I would like to get a better kit and start trying to make some 5 gallon batches. I have seen tons of kits and not sure what the best choice is, any advise.

Look for the Midwest Groupon, it is about the cheapest/most complete you can get. Something like $65 for the starter kit, plus 2 recipe kits included. I started with Mr Beer and still use the fermenter for small test batches and Apfelwein.

gah, they had one about 2.5 weeks ago that I missed out on. should have been looking :(. how often does Midwest do the groupons? would be perfect for a startup set (about as cheap as getting the basic set from my LHBS PLUS you get the first beer kit and $25 coupon towards the next one.)

I got the "advanced starter kit" from Northern Brewer. I can't compare to anything else but it seems to have everything. I brewed my first batch yesterday and it went really well. Time will tell how the beer comes out. Cheers.

I just got an email from northern brewer, they are giving away a free starter kit with the purchase of a kettle and extract kit. I'm debating whether to do it to get a bigger kettle for ag.

I just got an email from northern brewer, they are giving away a free starter kit with the purchase of a kettle and extract kit. I'm debating whether to do it to get a bigger kettle for ag.

link? or does it need a promo code?

wormraper said:
link? or does it need a promo code?

Pm me your email and I will forward the message to you. I think you add a kettle and extract kit and enter promo code FreeStarterKit. They do say stainless kettle and its only for 48 hours.

Pm me your email and I will forward the message to you. I think you add a kettle and extract kit and enter promo code FreeStarterKit. They do say stainless kettle and its only for 48 hours.

thanks a lot!!!!! for $119.47 shipped I can get a 10.5 gallon kettle, the Bavarian Hefeweisen extract kit and the starter kit!!!! I could barely get the starter kit and a ingredients for the Hefe for that price at my LHBS!!!! let alone get the kettle. very very nice deal

(or I could get the 5 gallon kettle for like 78 bucks). is getting the 10.5 gallon kettle above the 5 gallon kettle worth it? also does Northern brewing having any extract kits that are known for being excellent? or is the Bavarian Hefe kit a good one

Get the 10.5, before long you will get the itch to go all grain and need it.

Get the 10.5, before long you will get the itch to go all grain and need it.

well, after consideration I decided to go with the 5 gallon one. since I'm just starting out I'll be doing mostly extract brewing for the first year or so. (I don't have enough time to do grain brewing for the time being) and I saved over $45 in the process so for $76 I got the Hefeweizen kit, the Kettle AND the kit. hell that's the price of the starter kit from my local LHBS alone. should do me good as a start

Back