Beginner Question(s) re: Coopers Microbrewery Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I am a beginner/novice brewer. I just purchased the Coopers Microbrewery Kit. If possible, I have a few questions I was wondering if everyone can assist with:

-Should I use spring water vs. tap water? I normally use a Brita pitcher for drinking water since my water can taste a little on the chlorinated side.

-For Fermentation, is it safe to store the carboy in my basement since it is in theory air tight? I ask because basements can be damp environments however I have a dehumidifier also in my basement.

-Would an aftermarket sanitizer be advisable like Star San rather than the unscented bleech and water method they describe?

If you're tap water tastes chlorinated you'll need to get rid of the chlorine by boiling any water you use in the beer. If it has chloramines you need to use a Campden tablet to break down the chloramines first. Bottled water will work also.

The basement should be fine as long as the temperature is in a good range and fairly steady. If it's in the mid 60's your fine.

I would go with Star San.

I use bottled spring water from wal-mart for 80c a gallon, I use my Coopers fermenter in my basement and it is fine, the only batch that came out kind of funky was when I used tap water(and it was even drinkable after 6 weeks in bottles).I use Iodophor, very cheap sanitizer and you don't have to rinse, just let it air dry.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/CraigTube#p/search/0/Jt3IGCxu6tk"]This[/ame] might be helpful.

I have and use the coopers kit as well. I use it in the basement. I am on my third brew in it, and in all cases the water that wasn't boiled as part of the preparation, was reverse osmosis filtered water. The first two batches have tasted really good to me!

Definitely get some star san or iodine based sanitizer, and oxiclean free is great for a cleaner. Though for my first batch, I just used boiling water to sanitize the fermenter and it was just fine.

I've checked out many of Craig's videos, including the Coopers Microbrewery one.

He really got me started, it seemed to take a lot of the intimidation out of the whole procedure. The best advice I can give is do what he does but substitute dry malt extract for the sugar. It makes for a MUCH nicer beer and still keeps it simple.

Good luck and have fun!

Beginner here as well; I've done 7-8 batches. My first brew was the Cooper's kit. Came out decent, definitely drinkable. If I were to do it again I'd use two cans of the liquid malt extract and I wouldn't use the brewer's sugar that came with the kit.

I use bottled water, but we always have it on hand (we get 19L bottles home-delivered). If you use tap water you'd need to boil it, which could be a PITA. Bottled water is definitely easier but it's another expense.

Basement should be fine. And go with Star San, it's a breeze to use.

Back