Before I burn the house down; RIMS control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkian

Reaction score
**I added a ground for the box and the heating element/rims tube**

So I am trying to put together a RIMS system with a PID and water heater element RIMS tube. I have built the stand, RIMS tube, kettles etc. Now I need to control it with out killing myself.

tube.jpg

stand.jpg

pump.jpg

power.jpg

I have put together a wiring diagram to the best of my abilities and I am looking for suggestions on putting it together.

RIMSwiring.jpg

I would like to put it all in this box:

box.jpg

I have a brewhardware RIMS and use the stud inside the electrical connection cover to ground and take back to the box. You could do the same by tack welding or drill and thread a hole and insert a stud.

I run mine vertical with the element on the bottom. Stays fully flooded and no scorch batches yet.

IMAGE_F9EAC06A-1F7C-469D-8657-B5C5D091B0AD.JPG

If you attach the RIMS tube to your brew stand with some U-bolts, it would be practical to put a ground lug on one of the bolt ends, under a nut.

It is a wooden stand, so I assumed all the grounds needed to go back to the outlet.

I have a brewhardware RIMS and use the stud inside the electrical connection cover to ground and take back to the box. You could do the same by tack welding or drill and thread a hole and insert a stud.

I run mine vertical with the element on the bottom. Stays fully flooded and no scorch batches yet.

IMAGE_F9EAC06A-1F7C-469D-8657-B5C5D091B0AD.JPG

I was just looking at the Brewers Hardware NPS element adapter, I will probably go that route as it looks like the cleanest and safest way to wire the element.

Or you could use a clamp, and attach it directly to the RIMS tube somewhere.

Cant ground a wooden stand. Just make sure you ground the kettles (if they have an element) and RIMS. You'll love the RIMS system once you run a few batches. All setups are have their quirks.

It is a wooden stand, so I assumed all the grounds needed to go back to the outlet.

Let me be more clear. If you use metal U-bolts to attach the RIMS tube to the brew stand, whether it be wood or metal, you can ground to the U-bolt which is in metal to metal connection with the RIMS tube and the element and the wort.

Let me be more clear. If you use metal U-bolts to attach the RIMS tube to the brew stand, whether it be wood or metal, you can ground to the U-bolt which is in metal to metal connection with the RIMS tube and the element and the wort.

Now I see what you are saying.

Latest posts

Back