Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxedinco

Reaction score
Ok I’m trying out beer smith and I can’t seem to figure out how to add steeping grains to an extract or partial mash recipe, I’ve tried both. Any help would be great appreciated.

Its quite easy. Just select the add grain button on the right side of the screen and select the grain and quantity of grain you would like to add to the recipe

Does steeping produce the same as mashing?

It does not produce the same potential from the grains and is treated differently in BeerSmith from mashing. In terms of color and flavors, it is pretty close depending upon the technique of the brewer.

When I did extract with steeping, BS would show pickup of gravity points with addition of grains, if I had selected Extract as the recipe main method. When I did partial mash with DME, setting the recipe to partial mash, BS would show a larger gravity pickup, which one would expect if PARTIAL MASHING CERTAIN GRAINS. You won't get more gravity partial mashing crystal malts than steeping them. The mashing, or converting starches to sugar, is for grains that are starch, like 2-row, wheat malt; and not for crystal malts that are already mostly converted inside the kernels.

Does steeping produce the same as mashing?

Steeping grains in extract brewing adds color and flavors, with the extract providing the primary fermentables for the beer. With all-grain brews, the base grains are mashed and that provides the fermentables for the beer. Base grains make up most of the mash (providing the equivalent of the extract) but the grains you steep in extract brewing are also mashed, providing color and flavors, similarly to their role in extract brewing.

Back