Beersmith - first all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioMurb

Reaction score
Hey guys! Been lurking, but haven't posted before.

I just did my first all-grain this weekend, and I'm struggling with how to enter my data into Beersmith.

I've inputed my equipment and mash profile and followed those directions, but then ended up adding first 0.5 gallons of 70 degree water and then 1 gallon of 120 degree water to the mash to adjust the temp (I panicked a bit).

I ended up mashing for 120 minutes, at a too-low 142 degrees, so I added the strike water intending to batch sparge, but decided to keep that in there for 60 minutes at 154 degrees (I know, I know, I was all over the place).

So how do I update that in Beersmith? Is it an additional mash steps at the resulting temps?

i dont know anything about beersmith, but i think you might be pleasantly surprised at how your beer turns out with a double mash infusion like that. youll have a beer that is dry and malty and full of complexity. you should be fine with it. hope everything else works out for you. cheers!

Please see the attached screen shots on how to add/modify mash step details.

Mash0.jpg

Mash1.jpg

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I may have made the thinnest oatmeal stout ever :p

Is the intention of Mash Profiles to predict what you should do (volume of water and temperature) or to record what actually happened?

Know what I mean? Should I be choosing a preset mash profile and then adjust it to my actual measured numbers? Or does it not matter what I select - I just plug in what I came up with?

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I may have made the thinnest oatmeal stout ever :p

Is the intention of Mash Profiles to predict what you should do (volume of water and temperature) or to record what actually happened?

Know what I mean? Should I be choosing a preset mash profile and then adjust it to my actual measured numbers? Or does it not matter what I select - I just plug in what I came up with?

I'm pretty sure it's what you "should" do. I've never used the software you mention but I have brewed a few times. Here's an excellent online article on Mashing:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - The Starch Conversion/Saccharification Rest

Back