Beersmith, 2 step rest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXBrewDude

Reaction score
Can I perform 2 saccharification rest steps in Beersmith?The 2 step mash starts with a "protein Rest" and 1 saccharification rest steps. Id like to perform a beta and an Alpha rest. If i start with the 2 step as a templet and change the protein rest temp to a beta temp it doesn't account for it with regards to fermentability?

Must be a way??
Thanks,

What are trying to achieve? Mash 20 at 160 and 40 at 140? Is this really different from 60 at 150? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but is this what you're trying to achieve? Just asking, not criticizing

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The highest fermentable wort will come from working both the Beta Amylase (131-150) and then the Alpha Amylase (154-162) to there most potential. For a very high gravity beer >12% you will need to shoot for the highest fermentability. A 30-60 minute rest at 135 and then 158 would achieve this. Back to the question, can beersmith accommodate / calculate for 2 saccharification rests?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back