Beers Kegged, But Kegerator Arrived Broken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTownBrewer

Reaction score
So I have a dilemma...

My wife bought me a dual tap kegerator for Christmas. I brewed 2 beers & kegged them last Saturday so I could test out the kegerator. I hooked everything up & after 36 hours, the temp didn't drop at all. I found a pinhole leak in the filter dryer which means all of the refrigerant is probably gone. The unit is being sent back this weekend.

The two beers I brewed are a Scottish Ale & Pale Ale. I've heard Scottish Ales should age fine, but I'm more concerned about the Pale Ale. If I don't get the kegerator back for a month, the Pale Ale will probably start to stale. by then. These beers are one month old right now.

What would you do?...Bottle them?...Leave kegged & wait until the kegerator is repaired?...Force carb at room temp (63 F) in the meantime?

If you purge the o2 out of the headspace, the beer should have ZERO issues being stored at room temp for a month. If it's going to be a month anyways as well as storing at room temp, I would recommend naturally carbing them. Add your sugar solution to the keg, purge the o2, pressurize to about 30psi for a good seal, take it off the gas, and let nature do it's thing. That kills 2 birds with 1 stone as you save co2, and your beer will be carbed when the kegerator arrives. Just pour out the first pint as it will have the yeasties and the crud created by the sugar and you should pour clear carbed beers from there.

Side note, if you do naturally carb, you don't need as much as bottling. I think 3oz of priming sugar is about all you'll need for a 5 gallon batch.

Back