Beermkr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been brewing with mine for a year and half now and love it, I agree with the comment about the app. Wish they would open it up more for customization, If I had to guess they are keeping it locked down so everyone is fairly sussesful with their beers and we get comfortable with brewing with it. I haven't seen much love/intrest for it in this community, or else were for that fact, which is a shame....becuase it makes DAMM good beer. Cheers
I've been emailing the poor guy in tech support (Joe) with about a question a week. He is amazingly responsive and patient (with me). He sent me for free a spare picnic tap to replace the one I managed to torture (I discovered the part swap option before his snailmail gift arrived).

I've been asking about the backend of this software solution, and suggested they could sell more units if people knew it was more in the users hands and not a locked-down system. Creating open-source options for working with their equipment would be awesome.

I mean, if they go under and I have a $600 door stopper, I could buy some RaspberryPi kits, dissect the poor beastie, and figure out how to bluetooth together (or better yet, LAN-accessible) a programmable manager for the heating, cooling and jiggling bits. I'm not a huge programmer, but it can be done.

Out of curiosity, I put a power meter on my last batch with the BEERmkr (Chubby Stout). 240 hrs start/finish. About $1.25 in power cost (ours is $0.12/kwh). During operation, it averaged about 95W during heat or cool cycles. When it's idling, draws about 5W.

IMG_1803.jpeg
IMG_1804.jpeg
IMG_1806.jpeg

I've been brewing with mine for a year and half now and love it, I agree with the comment about the app. Wish they would open it up more for customization, If I had to guess they are keeping it locked down so everyone is fairly sussesful with their beers and we get comfortable with brewing with it. I haven't seen much love/intrest for it in this community, or else were for that fact, which is a shame....becuase it makes DAMM good beer. Cheers
This is the first forum I've found discussing the BEERmkr. I asked their tech support if they were going to set up a forum on their website -- no plans at present. They directed me to a Facebook group and a Reddit thread. I no longer use Facebook and see no reason to feed Zuckerberg my data further. Nor am I on Reddit enough. I prefer curated forums like this to have grown up discussions.

Sound abatement challenges -- my BEERmkr makes an impressive amount of noise during the stage when its vibrating to drive trub down from the brew bag to the waste bag. I brew in a storage closet off of our attached garage. The other side of the room's rear wall is common with my home office. My internal walls do have sound insulation, but the vibration sound was substantially notable.

For the second batch, I tried to solve the issue by putting the BEERmkr atop a drip/spillage tray, and the tray sat on 1/2" carpet padding atop the workbench. Vibration on the table is way, way down -- but the sound is still significant. I'll have to try dampening methods (wall blankets, maybe sound tuning the room with some other absorbers. What is everyone else doing to resolve the vibration sung from their BEERmkr?

BTW -- I found a terrific drip/leak tray at Wallyworld: Robot or human?

Sitting the BEERmkr on little squares of wood gives me over 7L of spill volume -- so that's a complete batch mess up covered.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Does anyone have a spare set of white valves? I'd like to be able to have one batch brewing while drinking the prior batch. White valves seem to be hard to come by.

Has anyone reused their brew bags? Seems a waste to continue with one-time-use plastic if these could be rinsed sufficiently for safe repeat use.

Has anyone reused their brew bags? Seems a waste to continue with one-time-use plastic if these could be rinsed sufficiently for safe repeat use.
I don't but others have, I wouldn't chance it more than 2 to 3 brews. I'd use something like pbw and rinse well, no need to sanitize as the brew temp will kill any bugs.

I love my BEERMKR also. I love my Picobrew Zymatic and its larger batches but this keeps me brewing when time is tight and I don't have time to hook up my temperature management stuff for my traditional fermenters. My last half-dozen or so brews I have done have been with it and it's produced good results, even with beers that have languished in it for extra weeks... or months... while carving out time to get my kegerator up and running. Just kegged a Wee Heavy, and have a Belgian Tripel brewing in it right now (added the yeast about 5 minutes ago, actually!).

I'm planning a couple mods in the coming weeks. First is a drip tray. In my garage, on my wood brew bench, it produced enough condensation during my last brew to actually get a bit of wet-wood mold going on which I was able to clear up and dry out. But to avoid future issues I'll be using a "full sheet" aluminum cooking pan under it, and putting some self-adhesive rubber feet from amazon under the unit itself to get adequate clearance for the door to open while sitting inn this tray.

@Bad DNA... email the support team asking for new valves and they'll send you an invoice and once paid, they'll ship the new valves to you. You might want to pick up a couple kits too, to get over the free shipping minimum. I accidentally threw my first set away like an idiot after my 2nd or 3rd brew... the bag "kicked" and I just popped it out of the tap and tossed it :( with the valves, which I didn't realize until my next brew. They let me buy two sets at once which got be back in business and allowed me to do exactly what you want to do. I haven't reused the bags yet but they are advertised as reusable. When I use up my current supply of MKRkits I'll be trying the reuse thing with my planned custom batches.

I like the form factor of the BEERTAP but kegging is just so much easier with my setup. I haven't used my BEERTAP in several batches so it may be headed to the classified section on here before too long.

email the support team asking for new valves and they'll send you an invoice and once paid, they'll ship the new valves to you.
Thx -- I've been pestering Joe in their customer support for some weeks now. Asking why some things in the shop show up on the phone app but not the website and vis-a-vis. He let me know they are having supply constraints -- white valves aren't yet restocked, but the greys just came in.

I've also hunted eBay and Craigslist for parts/pieces. I guess the BEERmkr isn't yet long enough in the tooth for folks to be parting them out.

One solution is to drink faster, right? My college daughter is trying to help -- she's discovered the BEERtap in my office mini-frig and is helping to empty it as she can. But this only highlights the problem: I'll be in-between batches while I wait for the next one to process. Oh white valves, where art thou?

I accidentally threw my first set away like an idiot after my 2nd or 3rd brew... the bag "kicked" and I just popped it out of the tap and tossed it :( with the valves, which I didn't realize until my next brew.
Oh -- I came so close to doing this on my very first batch! Luckily, I'm slow to dump my brewing closet refuse can. Starting prepping for the second batch, realized there aren't white valves included in the brown paper sack for a mkrkit, and gently schooled myself over accounting for parts before putting a batch together.

I don't but others have, I wouldn't chance it more than 2 to 3 brews. I'd use something like pbw and rinse well, no need to sanitize as the brew temp will kill any bugs.
What gives you pause? The bags mechanically failing or biological contamination in some appendix-like nook corner. As you mentioned, a good sterile rinse *should* kill the nasties, but life tends to find a way particularly when we don't want it to.

What gives you pause? The bags mechanically failing or biological contamination in some appendix-like nook corner. As you mentioned, a good sterile rinse *should* kill the nasties, but life tends to find a way particularly when we don't want it to.
The bags failing, I hate wasting beer.

Just started a Festivus kit for the BEERmkr. I know, I'm like 7 months early, but it was on my shelf and I'm still just learning with this gadget.

Does anyone have a spare set of white valves? I'd like to be able to have one batch brewing while drinking the prior batch. White valves seem to be hard to come by.
I contacted BEERMKR and was able to get invoiced for a few extra sets of white and grey/black valves, even though it was not available on their website. Came in no problem and at a reasonable cost. If I remember right, they mentioned in the future the valves would be on the website, once production caught up with demand more.

And, just me, but I would never reuse a bag--just not worth it to lose a batch. I already had one bag fail on me going into the BEERTAP (at a seam under pressure), and luckily I had a 1.5L mini-keg to dump the batch into and save. BTW, I love the Kegland 1.5L mini-kegs for BEERMKR use.

I contacted BEERMKR and was able to get invoiced for a few extra sets of white and grey/black valves, even though it was not available on their website. Came in no problem and at a reasonable cost. If I remember right, they mentioned in the future the valves would be on the website, once production caught up with demand more.

And, just me, but I would never reuse a bag--just not worth it to lose a batch. I already had one bag fail on me going into the BEERTAP (at a seam under pressure), and luckily I had a 1.5L mini-keg to dump the batch into and save. BTW, I love the Kegland 1.5L mini-kegs for BEERMKR use.
I reached out to Joe in their customer care - he told me they haven't received restock of the white valves, but recently got greys in. I didn't think to ask about getting invoiced for pre-stock, thanks!

Just started a Chubby Stout. I gravitate to the darker side of the force when drinking. Last batch of something lighter ended in near disaster. Transferring the beer bladder to the BeerTap, a leak started where one of the white valve females welded to the bag began to leak at its seam. Luckily found it before threading in the CO2 cart. But had to quickly xfer what I could salvage to some swingtops sitting to the side. Saved maybe 2/3 of the bladder.

This is my second leak experience with the BeerMKR. The very first batch was my fault -- too fearful of tightening the white valve to the bladder bag, and it leaked during fermentation. Just a drop at a time, but the puddle meant I lost half the batch by the end. Learning curve.

So this time, I'm wondering did I score the bag or overstresss the white valve when I snugged it up during xfer to the BeerTap? This system is lovely, but takes some finesse to use.

Just started a Chubby Stout. I gravitate to the darker side of the force when drinking. Last batch of something lighter ended in near disaster. Transferring the beer bladder to the BeerTap, a leak started where one of the white valve females welded to the bag began to leak at its seam. Luckily found it before threading in the CO2 cart. But had to quickly xfer what I could salvage to some swingtops sitting to the side. Saved maybe 2/3 of the bladder.

This is my second leak experience with the BeerMKR. The very first batch was my fault -- too fearful of tightening the white valve to the bladder bag, and it leaked during fermentation. Just a drop at a time, but the puddle meant I lost half the batch by the end. Learning curve.

So this time, I'm wondering did I score the bag or overstresss the white valve when I snugged it up during xfer to the BeerTap? This system is lovely, but takes some finesse to use.
I don't think you overstressed or scored anything. In my experience you have to have perfectly clean surfaces and really crank down on the valves to get a leakproof seal. I mean, to the point where you think you're going to break something or tear the bag. Had a similar experience on my first batch with a slow drip, retorqued with it hanging in the machine and all was okay after that. Next several batches cranked down hard and was leak free for the whole brew. The sealing aspect of these valves isn't the best IMHO, so it takes what seems like a lot of torque to get a good seal, especially since there aren't nice gripping surfaces on them. The gray valves seem much better, maybe just a different type of seal.

I don't think you overstressed or scored anything. In my experience you have to have perfectly clean surfaces and really crank down on the valves to get a leakproof seal. I mean, to the point where you think you're going to break something or tear the bag. Had a similar experience on my first batch with a slow drip, retorqued with it hanging in the machine and all was okay after that.
Your description is spot on for my first leak :) The second one, 'though, was a creased area a few millimeters long at the base of the bag's female flange. The drips came from that tiny tear. So -- finesse. Not my strongest suit but I'm learning.

Bummed to have a batch fail from a siezed gray valve. Valve for output got stuck, never opened fully. Stupid me -- didn't test for gravity flow before pressurizing. There is no elegant way to depressurize the system if the field tap can't do it. Lost much of the beer. Discovered the gray valve push button broken (see pict). Sad.

IMG_2837.jpg

My 10-month old BEERMKR cooling system just failed. It is being replaced under warranty, but bummed that it happened, and there seem to be more than a few cooling system failures listed on the BEERMKR Facebook group. Beginning to wonder how reliable a Peltier cooling system is in this use case.

Kudos to Joe at BeerMKR - helped me recover from a dead valve situation, found some spare white valves to sell to me while they are out-of-stock (supply chain pain is very real), and has been very supportive. This little company really is trying. For boutique beer devices, I still like this little machine. For larger batches, I'm trying a fermonster 6 gal for the first time. It remains to be seen if I can give up my 6gal white bucket :)

My 10-month old BEERMKR cooling system just failed. It is being replaced under warranty, but bummed that it happened, and there seem to be more than a few cooling system failures listed on the BEERMKR Facebook group. Beginning to wonder how reliable a Peltier cooling system is in this use case.
How responsive were they to the warranty issue? Are you back to brewing batches? I really want to love this system, but I have some operator-error kinks to work out first.

Follow up: I elected to change the Peltier cooling system myself, took about 30 minutes and it is now working perfectly. Brewing a Witbier MKRKIT already. Excellent customer service and responsiveness. Thank you, BEERMKR!

Just had a club member from our brewery gift me one because he didn't have time to brew. Have not had any time to research this unit or even unbox it yet. But hopefully I can get to it within the next week or so.

Follow up: I elected to change the Peltier cooling system myself, took about 30 minutes and it is now working perfectly. Brewing a Witbier MKRKIT already. Excellent customer service and responsiveness. Thank you, BEERMKR!
I'm really pleasantly surprised at their customer service. It's really been outstanding. I have a Jurassic Ale in process now -- hope to be at first pint Friday.

I'm new here, but I've had a BEERMKR (3 now) and TAP (3 working and 1 to fix), starting with one of each back in August of last year. There's usually at least one brew going at a time. This system has had some birthing pains, but I feel confident, with the character these guys have shown in compensating for losses, that a version 2.0 would overcome many of the maiden voyage trials.

I love this system, and the worst that has happened to me personally has been brew (black gasket) gray valves busting, never losing more than a couple of cups on a couple of occasions. I didn't care much for the pressure gauge on the TAP, so I modded my TAPs, which solved that issue. It's been a blast trying out kits and even doing some DIYs, some of which are non-standard and condescended upon by some, like mead, which seems to need at least 3 weeks for brewing. Presently, I'm trying to make a pawpaw wine which looks like it will have an ABV close to 10.0. Since I will likely tap it, it will obviously be a sparkling, dry wine, but I am hopeful it will taste excellent. Smells good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, on the noise issue. On my unit I noticed that if I was facing the machine (door towards me), and put my hand on the right hand side grill area (all those little holes), the more annoying rattle of the sound could be lessened. Investigating further, looking into those holes, I can see a horizontal plate, about 1/16" thick and about 4 3/4" above the counter the machine sits on. I was able to feed a pipe cleaner between two of the holes (pulling the plastic housing out slightly), one above and one under the plate. The cushioning of the pipe cleaner between the plate and the plastic housing of the machine helped immensely.
Sound abatement challenges -- my BEERmkr makes an impressive amount of noise during the stage when its vibrating to drive trub down from the brew bag to the waste bag. I brew in a storage closet off of our attached garage. The other side of the room's rear wall is common with my home office. My internal walls do have sound insulation, but the vibration sound was substantially notable.

For the second batch, I tried to solve the issue by putting the BEERmkr atop a drip/spillage tray, and the tray sat on 1/2" carpet padding atop the workbench. Vibration on the table is way, way down -- but the sound is still significant. I'll have to try dampening methods (wall blankets, maybe sound tuning the room with some other absorbers. What is everyone else doing to resolve the vibration sung from their BEERmkr?

BTW -- I found a terrific drip/leak tray at Wallyworld: Robot or human?

Sitting the BEERmkr on little squares of wood gives me over 7L of spill volume -- so that's a complete batch mess up covered.

Latest posts

Back